Scale has never budged in a year of trying- what gives?

Options

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    You just don't have much muscle and not much fat available for recomping. If you were to eat more and lift lift lift you could build muscle and see changes more quickly. 1500 calories is not much food.
  • cordney
    cordney Posts: 73 Member
    Options

Fair question. The numbers are fine but I don't wear it well. Mostly this layer of fat all over is what I'd love to get rid of. I'd like to look leaner- I'm happy with my muscle tone, just not the pudge over top.

Do you have any pictures, as I'm quite disbelieving of the 'layer of fat' given your stats

Ugh- yes. Here's a recent one.
    It's not horrible, but there's room for improvement. Most recent InBody scan showed 21% body fat.
    xmsqzgtcpqqx.jpg

Ummm, I'm really having trouble seeing what you're seeing. You look fantastic.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Fair question. The numbers are fine but I don't wear it well. Mostly this layer of fat all over is what I'd love to get rid of. I'd like to look leaner- I'm happy with my muscle tone, just not the pudge over top.

Do you have any pictures, as I'm quite disbelieving of the 'layer of fat' given your stats

It's not horrible, but there's room for improvement. Most recent InBody scan showed 21% body fat.
    xmsqzgtcpqqx.jpg

I think you look fine. But if you want to look leaner, lift heavy.

You mentioned lifting with a trainer. What's your routine like? The trainer in my gym rushes women around in circles. I never see him do anything remotely resembling a progressive lifting program.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    have you ever considered running a few bulk/cut cycles? From your pics, it looks like you could use some more definition.

I would suggest backing off the cardio and going with a structured lifting program with progressive overload built in ..
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I am 5'6" and weigh 126 lbs
    Any suggestions?

I can't imagine trying to lose weight with those stats.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    xmsqzgtcpqqx.jpg

So obviously you don't need to lose weight.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    First of all, kudos for having the guts to post a picture. Based on that, I think my original comment still stands. More cardio and even more "dieting" are not going to fundamentally reshape your body the way you want. I think some of the things you are dissatisfied about are genetic--they can still be improved with some muscle shaping and fat loss, but you need to be realistic. And it's going to take time and a lot of work. You should have a direct talk with your trainer and make sure he/she understands what you want and how to reach that goal. What you want to do IMO is not something that every trainer can do competently.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

xmsqzgtcpqqx.jpg

Didn't notice you were using InBody.

Do you remember you Segmental Fat Analysis. Did the bars look like this:

Right/Left Arm, Trunk bars longer than leg bars

Or: the opposite pattern with the Arm bars shorter than the leg bars

Or: bars of roughly equal length?

That gives you insight into your fat distribution pattern.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Yeah, OP - you don't have a layer of fat to lose. I think you look amazing, but if you are looking for more "definition", I would listen to the posters suggesting lifting weights. :drinker:
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    You may be 9 years older than me, but I wish I looked that good post-babies. I don't think you need the scale to show anything different. The only fat I can really see is the fat in your bikini top, lol. I'm assuming you don't want to lose those?
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    5'6" and 126... a "1/2 inch here or there" is a big difference. Man when I lose a half inch it's a freaking celebration.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    1500 is pretty low especially if you are working out 5 days a week. Honestly you might need to slowly increase your calorie consumption. If you aren't eating enough in a day then your body will hold onto fat so that might be why you are having trouble losing that last bit. Do you know your TDEE?

nope you dont hold onto fat if you arent eating enough
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Weights and protein, not cardio & carbs.
    I feel like you want to get the look on the right in this below example- correct? That's more muscle and lower body fat percentage. Also note the scale weight is actually more for the leaner look, so might not want to worry about what the scale says...
    (This is not me, it's someone I follow on Instagram)

5eiq3e7tyecj.jpg
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    (The tan doesn't hurt either)
  • JacquiH73
    JacquiH73 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    5'6" and 126lbs...I'd say you're at your ideal weight any less and you would be anorexic. You seem to eat healthy, exercise and maintain. You're doing good!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    edited January 2017
    Options
    edited to delete
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    Weights and protein, not cardio & carbs.
    I feel like you want to get the look on the right in this below example- correct? That's more muscle and lower body fat percentage. Also note the scale weight is actually more for the leaner look, so might not want to worry about what the scale says...
    (This is not me, it's someone I follow on Instagram)

carbs help build muscle too not just protein