Macro ratio for post run recovery/meal

Options
For a while now after hard 5 mile runs I've been having a big serving of yogurt and berries. It ends up being about 30g of protein and 30g carbs and no fat. A bit later ill eat further but wondering if i should be eating more carbs and less protein right after as I'm noticing I tend to really graze in the few hrs following these sessions.

If you eat too much protein in one dose does it slow down other nutrients from digesting?

I've read in a few places that a 3:1 or even 4:1 carbs: protein ratio if recommend for hard cardio recovery. Hoping it'll slow down subsequent grazing.

Thanks

Replies

• ajwcyclist2016
    ajwcyclist2016 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Not sure about macros slowing down because of protein. I would slightly increase your protien and and even the carbs slightly. Mess around with the ratios see how you feel. The 3:1 and 4:1 is more to do with fueling the next session. After is more about building muscle and repair which is what the protien is for. And the carbs is for energy. Having a diary writing down how you feel can all help to fine tune the balance best for you
  • powered85
    powered85 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Not sure about macros slowing down because of protein. I would slightly increase your protien and and even the carbs slightly. Mess around with the ratios see how you feel. The 3:1 and 4:1 is more to do with fueling the next session. After is more about building muscle and repair which is what the protien is for. And the carbs is for energy. Having a diary writing down how you feel can all help to fine tune the balance best for you

I do find I get quite ravenous after so was wondering if I'm going too low on carbs and high on protein. Seem to perform better eating less prior but would like to get the recovery meals down better to prevent the spike in hunger for the next few hrs after.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited January 2017
    Options
    You could try different protein sources and carb sources. It's a good macros split in terms of post recovery. It is true that each protein source will digest as different speeds as well. But the hunger could be based on the volume of food you are eating. You might just need to eat more. Personally, I drink a protein shake prior to the gym, and dinner after.
  • powered85
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    You could try different protein sources and carb sources. It's a good macros split in terms of post recovery. It is true that each protein source will digest as different speeds as well. But the hunger could be based on the volume of food you are eating. You might just need to eat more. Personally, I drink a protein shake prior to the gym, and dinner after.

So 50/50 is a good ratio? I though the carbs should be higher post run. It is 0% greek yogurt so could look at throwing in some eggs or chicken instead for the protein along with a higher GI carb.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Nutrient timing around a 5 mile run is majoring in the minors. Get proper nutrition throughout the day.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    powered85 wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »

So 50/50 is a good ratio? I though the carbs should be higher post run. It is 0% greek yogurt so could look at throwing in some eggs or chicken instead for the protein along with a higher GI carb.

There are a variety of opinions and I am not sure there is enough science to suggest an optimal protein/carb intake pre or post workout. Largely speaking, there are priorities when it comes to reaching goals, as shown below:

The-Pyramid-Of-Nutritional-importance.png

The bigger questions you should answer first, is do your total calories match your goals? How about your macronutrients? Are you eating adequate sources of micronutrients? And if you can confidently say you have checked all those boxes and want to worry about timing nutrients, then I would suggest your current plan of 50/50 isn't too far off. If you want, you can increase carbs in pre workout to maximize glycogen capacity. But knowing it's only 5 mile run, you won't really be in a depleted state, so you may not see a benefit.

What I am getting at, at your current point, it's going to be about addressing satiety and personal performance. So experiment with the ratios. The only reason I do pre-workout protein is because my lunch is at 11am and I workout at 4.
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I'm with psulemon, I think you need to look at your calories post workout instead of the macro split. I know myself I'm starving after a workout. So I make sure to have dinner right after. As long as I do this I'm good. If for whatever reason I can't eat dinner after, I tend to get really hungry and grab little snacks here and there which usually throws me over my calorie goal.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    For refueling/recovering it's 4:1 carbs to protein, but you really need to explore what works for you. I'm another person who likes exercising before a meal (and doesn't like adding extra meals because of a workout if I can avoid it) so I tend to use a meal as my post workout, and that it of course has a decent amount of fat in it doesn't matter, I'm not at training level where that is going to make a difference.
  • powered85
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    For refueling/recovering it's 4:1 carbs to protein, but you really need to explore what works for you. I'm another person who likes exercising before a meal (and doesn't like adding extra meals because of a workout if I can avoid it) so I tend to use a meal as my post workout, and that it of course has a decent amount of fat in it doesn't matter, I'm not at training level where that is going to make a difference.

Thanks I thought I read 4:1 or 3:1. I tend to not eat much in the morning and workout at lunch. So will experiment with more carbs after to see if that slows the hunger down in the afternoon. I've tried having higher calories meals in the morning but it doesn't seem to improve the workout(can also cause GI issues for me) or reduce post workout hunger.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'd want more fat personally.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Unless I'm doing a 30-50 mile ride, I don't really worry about it much...I recover just fine from my daily rides of 15-20 miles just eating well for the day...I usually have lunch or dinner shortly after a "normal" ride.
  • powered85
    Options
    I've dropped the yogurt and swapped in 2% milk, 10g of pumpkin seeds and a banana post run. Feeling much better. Clearly responding well to additional high glycemic carbs post run and appears to be reducing hunger later on.