Does MFP app reset default calories

Options
Yesterday I wasn't paying attention except so happy I was so under my calories and even ate some Worthers candies. Well today I noticed the base calorie was 1700 instead oh 1270 .... my goal was still set the same. So I was in fact 180 + calories OVER... Does the app reset each week to a default number? I'll pay closer attention from now on.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Did you add exercise? Other than changing your rate of loss, that'll be the only thing to raise your goal.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    Mine does not reset on its own.
  • elizabeppes
    elizabeppes Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Yes I added exercise. The total number jumped above the addition of the exercise. Not sure what happened but now I know to look at all 4 numbers in the equation before I scoop a cup of ice cream out.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    Yes I added exercise. The total number jumped above the addition of the exercise. Not sure what happened but now I know to look at all 4 numbers in the equation before I scoop a cup of ice cream out.

​Please see this article, and search for answers to Frequently Asked Questions and other helpful articles, on the MFP Help/FAQ pages...

https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/en/portal/articles/1027478-why-do-my-daily-nutrient-values-and-my-calorie-goal-change-when-i-log-exercise-
  • rkd1206
    rkd1206 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I JUST noticed that last nite - have only been using MFP for a week. My total calories were set at 1200 and then I did 90 minutes of exercise and it jumped up to 1600 approx. So if I ATE 1600 calories I would be going nowhere, right? It is really hard to stay within 1200 cal so I appreciate what the exercise will do in terms of giving me wiggle room, but I am def going to pay attention to whether I am within my exercise-added calories or my original calories.

• ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Most people only eat 50-75% of those back, but yes if you're following MFPs method you should eat some back. Intake-exercise should = 1200 for the purposes of getting adequate nutrition.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    rkd1206 wrote: »
    I JUST noticed that last nite - have only been using MFP for a week. My total calories were set at 1200 and then I did 90 minutes of exercise and it jumped up to 1600 approx. So if I ATE 1600 calories I would be going nowhere, right? It is really hard to stay within 1200 cal so I appreciate what the exercise will do in terms of giving me wiggle room, but I am def going to pay attention to whether I am within my exercise-added calories or my original calories.

MFP does not account for any exercise when it provides your daily goal. If you log your intake correctly (weigh solids, measure liquids, log everything including condiments and cooking oils, and choose accurate food database items), you will lose at about the rate you selected. Note that the minimum Calorie goal for women is 1200 per day (1500 for men), so if you chose to lose at a high rate, the rate of loss may not be quite as near as predicted if the daily goal has bottomed out for your chosen weekly rate of loss.

Since you logged exercise, you should eat back at least some of those Calories to provide adequate fuel and nutrients to replenish your essential amino acids, vitamins, and minerals. Since MFP exercise activities include your BMR (the amount of Calories you burn without doing any daily movement or additional exercise), most people eat back around 50 to 75% of exercise Calories earned. I suggest picking a percentage to eat back, do that for a couuple weeks, then adjust the percentage of exercise Calories to eat back based on your rate of loss.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    The recommended goal is NET calories (so what you would eat if you didn't do any exercise) - you are supposed to eat back your exercise calories (the calorie deficit is already built in without adding a deficit from exercise to it). A lot of people on here will only eat back a fraction though if they don't trust the burned calories estimate.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    rkd1206 wrote: »

I don't know your stats, except that you are 63 and female, so I'm going to make a couple of assumptions.
    Assuming you are trying to lose 1 lb per week and the 1200 isn't just the arbitrary minimum.
    This would mean that MFP's NEAT calculation has you maintaining your current weight, at your set activity level at 1700 calories. So if you ate 1700 calories and did not exercise, you would neither lose or gain (on average over time). Now you add in a desire to lose 1 lb a week, and MFP calculates that you need to limit your intake to 1200 per day to create a 500 calorie deficit, which over a week will be a 3500 calorie deficit and create a 1 lb loss.
    Now you added 400 cals worth of exercise. That would either increase your weight loss to almost 2 lbs per week (not your goal and likely not good for you) OR allow you to eat another 400 calories and still maintain a 1 lb loss.

The issues with yourself are a couple. Your NEAT may be closer to 1500, so regardless of what you tell MFP, it won't allow under 1200 per day so you won't see the loss of 1 lb per week. Also, the 400 calories earned from exercise may not be accurate. Depending on what is giving you that number, you should only eat back 50% - 75% of it as most equipment and HRM's are generous in their calorie estimation.

Hope that makes sense.