Heart rate = amount of calories burnt?

Options
2»

Replies

• Jayj180894
    Jayj180894 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    U2Bad1 wrote: »
    Let me simplify this. You are on a beta blocker which lowers your heart rate. However, if you are concerned you are sabotaging your weight loss by taking a beta blocker then you don't need to worry.

How does that make sense?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Let me simplify this. You are on a beta blocker which lowers your heart rate. However, if you are concerned you are sabotaging your weight loss by taking a beta blocker then you don't need to worry.

Because, as several have already said, your heart rate has nothing to do with weight loss. Read Azdak's post upthread.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    To throw more information into the mix, the people who burn the most calories are often the people who have the lowest heart rates while doing it. Many professional cyclists have resting heart rates in the 40's and even when they are putting out power that seems impossible to most of us, their heart rates don't go excessively high.

Now beta blockers won't do that for you. It is more like it will put a limit on how much you can exert yourself.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    It's about a workload. It takes this much energy to move X weight Y distance. Take the beta blocker.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Because, as several have already said, your heart rate has nothing to do with weight loss. Read Azdak's post upthread.

Correct. If it did, I would have lost a lot of weight with anxiety which causes high heart rate.

I'm also on beta blockers which I take before lifting and after cardio, and to manage anxiety.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I deal with this issue constantly with members and clients. I am surprised at how few doctors ever explain the HR blunting effect of beta blockers when prescribe them. I'd say this is the case in 85% of the people I talk to.
  • Jayj180894
    Jayj180894 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Aye, but I still don't understand his statement
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    I deal with this issue constantly with members and clients. I am surprised at how few doctors ever explain the HR blunting effect of beta blockers when prescribe them. I'd say this is the case in 85% of the people I talk to.

They don't educate, sometimes they really don't understand themselves.
    I was on 100 mg of atenelol for years RHR of 55.

After about 15 years I felt bad, dizzy all the time. Finally go to the ER with chest pain(probably mild panic attack) and falling down dizzy. Spent a night in an ICU bed, for observation. One person mentioned my heart rate while sleeping was in the 30s, but no problem. Discharged feeling the same, a really bad next year! Finally got so bad at work I end up in a different ER. Now my heart rate was in the 30s with a whole crew working on me. They took me off atenelol.

Point is there were telltale signs all along, if someone really understood how much beta blockers impact heartrate. I'd complained for many appointments with my then dr. about how bad I felt if I was an hour late for a dose. To this day I believe that the dose was too high for me.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    To throw more information into the mix, the people who burn the most calories are often the people who have the lowest heart rates while doing it. Many professional cyclists have resting heart rates in the 40's and even when they are putting out power that seems impossible to most of us, their heart rates don't go excessively high.

Now beta blockers won't do that for you. It is more like it will put a limit on how much you can exert yourself.

It's not a hard limit either, I've been on them for a couple of years now and they don't limit my exertion noticeably. For the first few months I'd feel weird if I exerted myself, I think because the heart rate wasn't elevating enough, but I adapted and now feel normal and can do as much as before.

Beta blockers don't affect my weight loss. They just stop the fight/flight reaction being triggered constantly for no reason. When that's happening you are not burning extra calories - you're like car revving in neutral.

Heart rate is not a direct indicator of calorie burn, it's related, but the relation is not simple. At the end of the day, you burn energy by doing stuff, not by achieving a certain heart rate.
  • daniellockridge
    daniellockridge Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    That's annoying! It doesn't matter how hard I work it seems to stay at 120-130! Before I was on them it was 170-180

That's probably the best zone for weight loss. I've researched and found that they call that the "fat loss zone" because you burn more fat cals that way. The only problem is it burns cals slower so you have to workout for longer periods of time. For example: Bob sprints for 5 min his heart rate is about 170 for that Amy of time. Bob burns 100cals. Bob rides his bicycle for 5 min his heart rate is about 130, Bob burned 40 cals riding his bike... But the good thing is you're burning the cals that you see if that makes sense.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

It's not a hard limit either, I've been on them for a couple of years now and they don't limit my exertion noticeably. For the first few months I'd feel weird if I exerted myself, I think because the heart rate wasn't elevating enough, but I adapted and now feel normal and can do as much as before.

Beta blockers don't affect my weight loss. They just stop the fight/flight reaction being triggered constantly for no reason. When that's happening you are not burning extra calories - you're like car revving in neutral.

Heart rate is not a direct indicator of calorie burn, it's related, but the relation is not simple. At the end of the day, you burn energy by doing stuff, not by achieving a certain heart rate.

Heart Rate is the speedometer, not the engine.