NWOL4W & Calories Question

Options
Hello! I'm not sure if this is the right forum, so please bear with me.

I just started New Rules of Lifting for Women. I read the book, which recommends eating at maintenance. Following the calculations in the book, I should be eating approximately 2000 calories on non-workout days, and 2300 on workout days. This is a significant jump from the 1500-1700 I have previously been eating.

However, I do have a Fitbit that does calorie adjustments. I set MFP up to maintenance, and with my activity level (active -I can get 7k+ steps at my job alone) my starting goal was 2270 on non-workout days. Yesterday I did the first exercise in Stage 1. By the end of the day, my Fitbit adjusted my goal up to 2500. I ate just under 2100, and could not eat another bite.

I am 5'6" at 147 lbs. My goal is to lose fat and gain muscle, which is what this program is designed to do. I could probably lose another 10 lbs period, but with my wedding in July, I just want to get as leaned out as possible in a healthy way.

My question is, should I keep my calories more in line with the Fitbit adjustments, or stay with the book's recommendation? I want to do what is best for my body and give it what it needs to be repair and get stronger.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited January 2017
    Options
    So if you want to lean out a bit, I would recommend a small deficit (~10% below your maintenance). When you were eating around 1500-1700 calories, how much weight were you losing? Eating at maintenance and recomping, will take too long to see big benefits by your wedding. Cutting down a bit and then moving to maintenance will help get you where you want a little faster.
  • aubreyjordan
    aubreyjordan Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    So if you want to lean out a bit, I would recommend a small deficit (~10% below your maintenance). When you were eating around 1500-1700 calories, how much weight were you losing? Eating at maintenance and recomping, will take too long to see big benefits by your wedding. Cutting down a bit and then moving to maintenance will help get you where you want a little faster.

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me out! When I was at 1500, I was losing about a pound a week. I've been using MFP for 2 years, but I'm one of those chronic yoyoers, losing and gaining (highest weight was 162, lowest was 139). I've been back at it since the new year and have lost 5 pounds (some extra stress causing me not to eat as much and causing a quicker loss). I just know lifting will give me the look I want over straight cardio and a deficit.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    So if you were eating 1500 and your were averaging 1 lb per week, then you maintenance would have been around 2k. Personally, I would start you around 1750 calories, with a protein goal around 120g. I generally spread protein throughout they day and time some protein and carbs around my workout. But the bold is more for adherence and majoring in the minors; meaning, there may be some benefit but science hasn't been able to provide a solid answer.
  • aubreyjordan
    aubreyjordan Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    So if you were eating 1500 and your were averaging 1 lb per week, then you maintenance would have been around 2k. Personally, I would start you around 1750 calories, with a protein goal around 120g. I generally spread protein throughout they day and time some protein and carbs around my workout. But the bold is more for adherence and majoring in the minors; meaning, there may be some benefit but science hasn't been able to provide a solid answer.

Thank you! Should I eat a bit more on the days I lift? What about my Fitbit adjustment?
  • psuLemon
    Options

Thank you! Should I eat a bit more on the days I lift? What about my Fitbit adjustment?

You are fine if you eat the same amount of protein daily. Currently, I carb/calorie cycle and even with that, I maintain protein levels. Everything else is variable. I have an open diary if you are curious. And I wouldn't worry or adjust your calories based on fitbit adjustments. My goal would be to eat the same calories daily for 3 to 4 weeks and evaluate actual progress. Based on that, you can modify as necessary. For example, if you find that you are losing 1 lb per week, I would add a little more calories. I would probably aim for about 1/2 to 3/4 a lb per week. I would almost make sure you track your progress in a few other ways: 1. make a training log (this will ensure you are making progress with the lifts - because if you want to build muscle, you need to get stronger), 2. take photos (I prefer about every 3 to 6 months) and 3. take measurements (every 3 to 6 month). This combination will give you a pretty solid picture of whether or not you are making body composition and strength changes.

If you want, you can post in here with progress or other questions, or feel free to friend me and keep me posted.
  • BrianKMcFalls
    BrianKMcFalls Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    F