Sometimes your brain fights weight loss too! (ADHD and disordered eating)

Options
So after years of being on and off MFP and losing and gaining the same weight, I got diagnosed with ADHD. Turns out ADHD can cause compulsive eating (along with otherwise disordered eating) and explains why I would get so obsessive about calories and weight. This was eyeopening for me. I couldn't understand why I couldn't just *do* it!

Since I've started treatment, I've been losing. We found the right dose 12 days ago and I've lost 4lbs since. I don't feel the need to snack all day long. I don't crave sugar and salt anymore.

People say weight loss is so simple. But not only does your body fight it... Your brain can too.

I'm back and pretty confident that I now have the tools and the right mindset to lose what I need to.

I shared this in a facebook group I'm in and it was a huge lightbulb moment for a few women, so I hope it might help someone in here!

Replies

• xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I often wonder if I have this. I find I need to snack on fatty foods when I get home from work. Not because I need it to survive rather a habit that I cant seem to break. Also when watching TV in the evenings is usually I need to snack time. I am slowly breaking away from this cycle & am determined not to let it control me...
  • jagodfrey08
    jagodfrey08 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I have had ADD since childhood. While it does make me more obsessed with my numbers, I'm not sure it is fully to blame for my eating. I happen to like sweets, and I can totally binge on them. I also tend to have trouble with emotional eating. PTSD has made that a struggle, but thankfully, I have found other avenues to work on my moods.

I am certain some of the depression, anxiety, etc that sometimes follow ADHD are also to blame for weight gain and lack of self-control. I think that's why I feel like counseling in conjunction with dietary/nutrition education could go a long way to help severely obese people lose weight and keep it off.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I have had ADD since childhood. While it does make me more obsessed with my numbers, I'm not sure it is fully to blame for my eating. I happen to like sweets, and I can totally binge on them. I also tend to have trouble with emotional eating. PTSD has made that a struggle, but thankfully, I have found other avenues to work on my moods.

I am certain some of the depression, anxiety, etc that sometimes follow ADHD are also to blame for weight gain and lack of self-control. I think that's why I feel like counseling in conjunction with dietary/nutrition education could go a long way to help severely obese people lose weight and keep it off.
    Well said!
  • cspong
    cspong Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Yes! It wasn't a magic pill or anything. It's just a tool. I'm not obsessively eating anymore. So I'm back to tracking and this time is the most successful I've ever been.

And night time was definitely the worst for me. Apparently carbs help release serotonin which is why a lot of people eat junk food at night to relax after a tough day.