Low carbers

Options
Feel like the weight is coming off too slowly. Checked and I am in ketosis. Today is day 24 and I have lost 9.4 lbs. Should I expect more? It seemed that my son lost much faster on this diet. Do you get bored with your choices? Side dish suggestions are welcomed!

Replies

• tmoneyag99
    tmoneyag99 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Men lose faster in general due to the fact that (again in general) they have more muscle mass to burn calories. Muscle Mass (lean tissue) is a very key driver in metabolism.

Something to remember about Low Carb diets are the following:

1) They work because the person using the program is satiated by protein which means they stop craving and binge eating (hopefully)

2) For ever molecule of glycogen there are 3-4 molecules of water attached to that glycogen stored in your muscle. If you have more muscle (like men) you will likely have more glycogen stores and water stores.

3) Calories in less calories out still matter. If you get to a point where you have consumed ALL of your glycogen stores but are still eating enough calories to maintain or exceed your current weight your body will convert whatever you eat to sugar and store it for immediate access, then it will store it for fat later. The human body is freaking amazing in that it can take pretty much any diet you throw at it and do what it needs with it. Except for maybe eating cardboard. Cardboard's micro and macro composition isn't high enough.

4) They still do grab fat for burning. But only the amount needed for expenditure. Your body won't miraculously begin burning more fat than it needs to function. Also if it senses a "Famine" type situation it may actually try to slow down the calorie burn. T

5) As you lose weight your calorie needs decrease.

I do Low Carb/High Protien diet and I have no problems with them. I feel like it works for me. I also eat tons of vegetables and don't count carbs but keep certain carbs out of my diet. So I get WHY you would do this diet. I just want you to make sure your expectations aren't unrealistic. You lost 10lbs. THAT IS AMAZING and you should be celebrating. Congrats on you! Don't give up just because someone completely different from you physiologically (younger and male) had different results. Just focus on YOUR results. In dieting, & fitness is all that matters. No one is keeping score of deadlines.
  • bmayes2014
    bmayes2014 Posts: 232 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    @tmoneyag99 was spot on in his comment. I agree with every point. Remember that weight loss is not linear. There are natural daily fluctuations in weight due many reasons (water weight, sodium intake, lack of sleep, etc). Also, don't compare yourself to others. Only compare yourself to yourself. Make sure you educate yourself and work at your own goals. I don't really get bored with choices. I each a lot of salad, veggies - I LOVE roasted vegetables. I eat a lot of broccoli, asparagus, green beans, mixed vegetables. I have been seeing cauliflower rice in the freezer section and lots of people have been eating that. Good luck and hand in there!

ETA: just want to add that calories are 'king' so you do still have to be sure you are eating at a caloric deficit. Even if you are on low carb and you overeat (above your deficit and above maintenance), you will gain. best of luck