Am I eating too much or not enough??

Options
Hi,
I'm trying to improve my health and fitness as well as lose a little bit of weight but mainly tone up and get rid of my wobbly bits.
I'm 9st 4lb roughly and would like to get to between 8st 10lb and 8st 6lb.
I have been running for a year now and completed my 1st HM in Dec. I try and run 3 times a week. Mainly 5k each run but am aiming to do one 10k run each week.
I've also started to incorporate some strength training and have been alternating between dumbbells and kettlebells. Using YouTube videos. I try and do these 3 to 4 times a week. Usually only 30min sessions. I always have 1 full rest day a week.
I have just started to log my food as I have not lost any weight since the beginning of Jan and have in fact put on a couple of lbs.
I have cut back on carbs, increased my protein and veg intake. I don't snack except maybe a handful of nuts and a couple squares of dark chocolate.
I have just started logging my food. If anyone out in mfp world would be willing to have a look at my food diary every now and then or let me have a peek at theirs so I can compare I would be really greatful.
Getting a little despondent as feel I'm putting in the work but not getting any results.

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Do you use a food scale to weigh all your food? If not, I can guarantee you are eating more than you think.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    How tall are you, and how many calories are you eating?
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Your diary is private so no one can help you there. How's your logging? Are you using a food scale for all solids? Measuring cups/spoons for all liquids? Logging every thing that passes your lips? Using the recipe builder? Using accurate entries? Accurately calculating exercise calories? If you're not gaining or losing you're eating at maintenance. If you're gaining you're eating too many calories. If you're losing rapidly you're eating too little.
  • nikolabird
    nikolabird Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Sorry I've just made my diary public.
  • nikolabird
    Options

I'm 5ft 3 and probably eating 2000 Cals.
  • nikolabird
    Options
    Your diary is private so no one can help you there. How's your logging? Are you using a food scale for all solids? Measuring cups/spoons for all liquids? Logging every thing that passes your lips? Using the recipe builder? Using accurate entries? Accurately calculating exercise calories? If you're not gaining or losing you're eating at maintenance. If you're gaining you're eating too many calories. If you're losing rapidly you're eating too little.

I've just made my diary public but only started logging today.
  • nikolabird
    Options
    Your food diary isn't open so we can't really take a look at it for you. You can open it if you want.

Sorry forgot to change setting. Just made it public but only started logging today.
  • nikolabird
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Do you use a food scale to weigh all your food? If not, I can guarantee you are eating more than you think.

Just started to weigh my food again.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    You need to make sure you're weighing your food (when possible) and entering it with the appropriate data. Your butter, for instance. It would be much more accurate in grams with a gram entry than by the spoon. Fats, especially, can easily go well over without accurate entries.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    nikolabird wrote: »

I'm 5ft 3 and probably eating 2000 Cals.

Then you've found your maintenance if you're not losing.
  • nikolabird
    Options
    It's a guess and that's why I've started logging again.
    I need to be more ridgid with my measuring but made the decision to log my food after lunch so had to guess the amount of chicken.
    Tomorrow will be better.
    Dinner was accurate as measured everything out. As was breakfast as always measure out my yoghurt or porridge depending on which I'm having.
    I did a 30 mins kettle bell workout and lots of walking today but I track with my fitbit so it automatically syncs with mfp.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    If 2000/day leaves you feeling energetic/fueled and creates a slight deficit/weight loss over time: it sounds good. At this point the best course of action is to try it for 4-8 weeks and judge by your results. Keep in mind if you cut cals too low, your running could suffer.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I need to be more ridgid with my measuring but made the decision to log my food after lunch so had to guess the amount of chicken.
    Tomorrow will be better.
    Dinner was accurate as measured everything out. As was breakfast as always measure out my yoghurt or porridge depending on which I'm having.
    I did a 30 mins kettle bell workout and lots of walking today but I track with my fitbit so it automatically syncs with mfp.

measuring as in measuring cups? if so its not accurate and can be way off. if you have a scale weigh all solids and semi solids,liquids in cups and spoons. also weigh all oils you may use in cooking.
  • nikolabird
    Options
    If 2000/day leaves you feeling energetic/fueled and creates a slight deficit/weight loss over time: it sounds good. At this point the best course of action is to try it for 4-8 weeks and judge by your results. Keep in mind if you cut cals too low, your running could suffer.

I must say I'm feeling hungry at the moment. Would usually have a snack of some nuts and dates or carrot sticks and hummous in the evening. But as I'm at my limit calorie wise I'm going to have a big glass of water instead!
    Will see where I am in a few weeks time.
  • nikolabird
    Options
    Tomorrow will be better.

measuring as in measuring cups? if so its not accurate and can be way off. if you have a scale weigh all solids and semi solids,liquids in cups and spoons. also weigh all oils you may use in cooking.

No I always weigh with scales.