Serious question!

Options
Can you teach your metabolism to live off more calories by eating a higher number?

I mean, I am a recovering ED. So my limit right now is 2000... by eating that will I be able to train my body to maintain on such a high number?

Replies

• Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming you want to gain weight at this point?
    If so, then you will eat at 2000 until you attain a healthy weight and then depending on your fitness goals, recalculate at that point.
  • thesophierose
    thesophierose Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Well I was a pro ana, but I still had the affect of a lost period. So I am trying to get that back and I assume I need to gain weight. My BMR is around 1220 right now, since i was keen on saving that somewhere in my mindset. I have been slowly upping my calories because that is the way I keep my mind at bay. But I was just wondering if you keep eating higher cals and work with your body to get it to potential if it can rev you metabolism up?
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Your sex, height, weight, genetics, age, lifestyle, and body composition affect your metabolism.
    It isn't dependent solely on your diet/calories.
    If you don't have your period, you need to gain weight.
    Follow the recommendations of your doctor and a dietician.
  • spidey11186
    spidey11186 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Mind you, I have no actual studies to back this up - but logically, if a person can **** up their metabolism over the course of months and years by undereating, a person with a proper diet, and exercise regimen, can increase their metabolism too. I've noticed that in my travels, where I ate a lot of **** (lol), that I did gain weight... but not nearly as much as I thought I would. Now don't get me wrong - I've never been pro-ana, nor have ever had an eating disorder. My body has always been fed fully my entire life. So my body can possibly handle more (food, "change-impact" etc). But I am also VERY slowly, trying to see if I can increase my metabolism so I can consume more food. Not by a lot.... maybe a few hundred more cals/day... because hey, I love food! lollol.

I think a big part of the process is the amount of exercise you do in a day. Get your muscles revved up! Build lean muscle mass! That's a sure fire way to get your metabolism rising. If you ever need anything, let me know!