Diary Review? Having knee pain...

Options
And I'm wondering if I'm not getting enough fat or carbs or something? I'm 5'4", weigh 145 and am 43 years old female. I'm currently a size 8. I'd like to lose 10-15 pounds, have recently lost 5 lbs (150 lbs was my highest weight ever except when pregnant). I'm a small frame and before kids I weighed 120-125. Also used to go to the gym consistently so working out is not new to me.

I started working out again and eating better at the beginning of January. I'm taking a Piyo class and a P90x class and my knees hurt so badly I can barely make it down the stairs, even 4 days after taking a class. Taking Aleve and icing them doesn't help either. I'm considering starting glucosamine but that takes a while to start helping.

Do you think I'm not getting enough fats and that's affecting my joints? Or are my knees just getting old? :'(

Replies

• designerdiscounts
    designerdiscounts Posts: 517 Member
    Options
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    It could be anything, really. I suggest you speak with an orthopedist.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    That's a long time to hurt. Improper form can do a number on your knees. I would get sore knees from doing lunges, had my chiropractor watch me and corrected my form. No more knee pain from that!

I would make a doctor appointment and avoid the classes for now. Do some easy exercise (like walking, maybe yoga) and see if you improve.

~Lyssa
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    And I'm wondering if I'm not getting enough fat or carbs or something? I'm 5'4", weigh 145 and am 43 years old female. I'm currently a size 8. I'd like to lose 10-15 pounds, have recently lost 5 lbs (150 lbs was my highest weight ever except when pregnant). I'm a small frame and before kids I weighed 120-125. Also used to go to the gym consistently so working out is not new to me.

I started working out again and eating better at the beginning of January. I'm taking a Piyo class and a P90x class and my knees hurt so badly I can barely make it down the stairs, even 4 days after taking a class. Taking Aleve and icing them doesn't help either. I'm considering starting glucosamine but that takes a while to start helping.

Do you think I'm not getting enough fats and that's affecting my joints? Or are my knees just getting old? :'(

I don't think your diet is affecting your knees. Sorry. :| But if they are hurting THAT bad, yeah, you need to go see an orthopedic.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing it is something you're doing in your classes rather than your diet that is affecting your knees.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    It's not your diet. It's your age, the fact that you've likely been sedentary for awhile and you're now overdoing it, and your weight on your frame.

I started couch to 5K and my knees hurt (not injury hurt, just overworked hurt) for quite some time. After losing weight and getting them used to activity, they don't really hurt at all now. They are stiff the morning after a run, but it's gone in a few hours.
  • happychix
    happychix Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have basically the same thing going on, really painful knees which I've never had in all the years I've been working out. I truly believe this is what is going on: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/patellar-tendinitis/basics/symptoms/con-20024441 I doubt it has anything to do with dairy in your diet.
  • designerdiscounts
    designerdiscounts Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Well, darn it. I really don't want to stop the classes, they are so great. But I guess I'll take a week off and also schedule a doctor visit.
  • Dee_D33
    Dee_D33 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Is it a sharp pain under or around your kneecap, focused more towards the inside of your legs that feels worse when you bend your knees? I acquired patellar tendinitis from doing too much, too soon. The reason I bring this up is because you mentioned not being able to go downstairs, and that's how I knew something was up and went to the doctor. I had to completely rest for 2 weeks, and by completely I mean my husband even had to make dinner for those two weeks lol. Ice, wrapping, and prescription strength ibuprofen helped. It's better now. Sometimes it flares up after a run but my doctor gave me a list of stretches and exercises that really do help when it gets painful. It can't hurt to try some. :)