Fast food choice/Food on the go?

Options
2»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    PamGeirng wrote: »
    Drive through restaurants make greasy and low-quality food. Why would you want to accommodate that into your daily meals?

I didn't say I would put this in my daily diet. I don't like fast food but when my daughter calls and says she is in labor I have a 12 hour drive. Hoping to get a healthier idea of what ppl do when they HAVE to go through a drive thru. Glad you are perfect and never have a reason to go.

Oh...he's good people...you just need to figure out some of the many personalities around here and don't get too uptight about things.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    i used to be (back in the good ol' days of last week) a big fan of panera. but they updated their calorie count quietly and my 560 calorie sandwich is now 690 and so now i just glare and drive by. i'm not sure if they corrected the calories and i was always eating the 690 or if they changed the recipe.

in a pinch i'll go to subway when i forget my lunch, or just to cvs and grab a pouch of tuna and an easy mac ( #easymacdiet ) and go. mcdonald's breakfast is a hangover's dream for the time i'm eating it, but things go quickly south thereafter.

if you're planning for a road trip, can you maybe pack a cooler bag with snacks and sandwiches that you can grab and put in the car with you?
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I used to spend a lot of time out of town doing field work. I started my weight loss while still doing field work and ran into this issue. I always brought snacks, but snacks aren't a meal. I still went to the same fast food places I did before; however, I started changing my orders. Reviewing the calorie content online and having default orders really helps. Here's some of what I did.

1. No matter where you go, ditch the fries. That can cut your meal calories in half. (Or get the children/value size if you really like fries.)
    2. Avoid dressings and sauces, especially anything mayonnaise based. (Or get it on the side and put it on yourself.)
    3. I can't stomach diet pop. If you can, I'd make that switch. Sometimes I'd get water and sometimes I'd get a child-sized or small coke.
    4. Arby's was my default. They have more turkey options than other fast food places. Their website will also let you custom build sandwiches, which is *very* useful.
    5. Subway was my second default. Stick to a 6" and don't get the cookies. Which is hard because those cookies are awesome. They have a lot of chip options that are way more reasonable than fries or cookies.

• mattdhall
    mattdhall Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Taco Bell - 2 crunchy tacos - 340 cal
    Taco Bell - Bean and Cheese Burrito - 370 cal
    Taco Bell - crunchy taco & pintos n cheese - 380 cal
    Jack in the Box - 2 tacos - 380 cal
    Jack in the Box - 3 egg rolls - 450 cal
    McDonalds - egg mcmuffin - 300 cal
    McDonalds - sausage mcmuffin - 400 cal
    McDonalds - aritisan grilled chicken sandwich - 380 cal - w/ side salad & balsamic vinnegarette 435 cal
    McDonalds - hot 'n spicy mcchicken - 380 cal - w/ side salad & balsamic vinnegarette 435 cal
    Whataburger - Double Meat Whataburger Jr. With Cheese - 490 cal
    Whataburger - Justaburger w/ cheese - 340 cal
  • kcwebb2012
    kcwebb2012 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey Pam - I usually go with chipotle (I know they had their issues but it seems to be better now!) or something similar like Qdoba or Moes. I typically stick to the carnitas (or similar) because it's usually cooked in better oils and you can customize your meal with whatever fits your macros! Firehouse subs is also really good, especially if you're big on hearty meats. Hope this helps!
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I keep kosher, so my options are a bit limited. Generally, I stick to sushi (I've been trying to get my favorite place to release nutritional info, as they've come up with a few non-standard options, many of which involve tempura bits, deep fried sweet potato, or other ingredients where I'd really feel better knowing the proportions; I'm not THAT put out if there's 1/3 cup of red pepper in a roll I'd guesstimated at 1/4 cup. But 2 tbsp tempura bits vs 4? More of an issue) or pizza. Though I have been known to have a sauted vegetable and hummus wrap on occasion.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I usually eat 400-500 calorie lunches and 500ish calorie dinners. I've always been able to find something that fits okay.
    A regular or junior hamburger and side salad with vinaigrette and unsweetened tea usually fits my normal lunch calories easily. For breakfast on the go I'd probably just pack a piece of fruit or a granola bar.

Look up the nutritional info for places in the area you might go to and find things that will fit.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    Harvey's veggie burger no cheese is vegan and sooo good

I get that with either fries or onion rings for about 600 calories
  • dc8066
    dc8066 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Many supermarkets and Panera have soups and pre-made salads. McDonalds' oatmeal is good, Dunkin Donut's egg white turkey breakfast flatbread, any Dennis/Waffle House/BobEvans/Perkins can make you eggs any way you want to go. Some frozen breakfast entries are not bed, Jimmy Dean's turkey frittata, it takes only a couple of minutes to warm up. Some gas stations have hot breakfast food, Wawa and Speedway
  • _Justinian_
    _Justinian_ Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Chick-fil-A has some really good stuff. Their grilled chicken club sandwiches and Superfood sides are some of my favorites!
  • dc8066
    dc8066 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I don't like fast food but sometimes I am away from home for a few months and can't cook much in a hotel room, so have to do the best I can. Don't feel bad
  • festerw
    festerw Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Wherever has the largest milkshake available.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    Panda Express - grilled teriyaki chicken and veggies (or rice if you can fit it in)
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I never choose fast food (not because I demonize it but because it's not enough food for the calories). Eating on the go is easy. Stop at a grocery store or gas station. You can get vegetables, jerky, protein bar, diet soda.

• JLAJ81
    JLAJ81 Posts: 2,477 Member
    Options
    lstrat115 wrote: »
    PamGeirng wrote: »
    Drive through restaurants make greasy and low-quality food. Why would you want to accommodate that into your daily meals?

I didn't say I would put this in my daily diet. I don't like fast food but when my daughter calls and says she is in labor I have a 12 hour drive. Hoping to get a healthier idea of what ppl do when they HAVE to go through a drive thru. Glad you are perfect and never have a reason to go.

Don't pay any mind to him, he truly is perfect. He can't help it. And whatever you do, do NOT step on his precious shoes.

:kissing_smiling_eyes:
  • SeagalDeeDee
    SeagalDeeDee Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    The only thing I will order is Wendy's chicken,walnut salad.
  • ericatoday
    ericatoday Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    El pollo loco of course. They have a skinless chicken breast that comes with broccoli and a salad.

Subway veggie delight sandwich no mayo just brown mustard salt and pepper oil vinegar

McDonald's I get their fruit and yogurt parfait

Other than that I'd rather starve or stop by a grocery store and grab something healthy
  • FairhavenDS
    FairhavenDS Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Chipotle for me, steak salad with fajita veggies, corn salsa and cheese (and sour cream if I have leftover cals).