Breastfeeding twins!

So I was given a goal of 1310 calories, but I am exclusively nursing 3 month old twins. I'm not sure of how many calories I am allowed to add for each baby or how to. I'm giving each twin about 4oz every 3 hours.

Replies

• eday79
    eday79 Posts: 86 Member
    Are your trying to work out what extra calories you should have to make sure you can provide enough nutrition for your twins? From doing research when working with a mother of twins, that 3 mth old males are estimated 472-572 calories per day, females, 438-521 calories per day.
    Or are you trying to loose weight? As dieting or restricting calories whilst breast feeding isn't really recommended. Breast feeding alone will help bring your weight down a good amount ( I've had 5 single pregnancies & breast fed each for a good amount of time)...it just takes time.
    And once babies are eating food and not fully reliant on you for sustenance, then you can focus on reshaping your body.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited January 2017
    Milk supply/babies' health should be first priority I think.

I would suggest set your profile for maintenance, choose an appropriate activity level, then let your deficit be the amount of calories that goes to breastfeeding. Make sure you are getting proper nutrition. Try that for a few months.

Stay hydrated, rest as much as you can, and try to not stress out about it. Aim for being a healthier you, and let weight loss be a side effect. Not your central focus.
    So I was given a goal of 1310 calories, but I am exclusively nursing 3 month old twins. I'm not sure of how many calories I am allowed to add for each baby or how to. I'm giving each twin about 4oz every 3 hours.

• tmoneyag99
    tmoneyag99 Posts: 480 Member
    eday79 wrote: »
    Are your trying to work out what extra calories you should have to make sure you can provide enough nutrition for your twins? From doing research when working with a mother of twins, that 3 mth old males are estimated 472-572 calories per day, females, 438-521 calories per day.
    Or are you trying to loose weight? As dieting or restricting calories whilst breast feeding isn't really recommended. Breast feeding alone will help bring your weight down a good amount ( I've had 5 single pregnancies & breast fed each for a good amount of time)...it just takes time.
    And once babies are eating food and not fully reliant on you for sustenance, then you can focus on reshaping your body.

This. Reducing calories during breast feeding to promote weight loss can cause your supply to go down. I know because I BF'd for 16months.

Just eat clean and healthy. Lots of protien and especially good fats. (Your fat quality consumed is actually translated to your children and can help maximize their brain development)

So for a BF'g mother lots of avocado, nuts, non-mercury fish and healthy carbs like fruit, whole grains.
    Fiber/oatmeal actually helps you meet the demands.

Drink lots of water too.

After that I can say WAY TO GO MOMMA! Breast Feeding one is rough enough. The fact you are hanging tough with two I have no doubt that your personality and perseverance will get you to the other side soon enough.
  • mamabear11021
    mamabear11021 Posts: 3 Member
    Thank you all! I'm just trying to have healthier habits now so when I start weight loss will be easier. I'm trying to get a healthier well balanced diet for milk production and nutrients. I'm always always hungry so my nutritionist told me to try this app to help stay on track
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,959 Member
    Do you know how much milk you're producing? For one baby you'd need to add 450 calories a day. You shouldn't eat less than 1800 a day and never less than 1500 a day. Otherwise you risk losing your milk supply entirely and being unable to feed at all.

For twins, I'd be inclined not to eat less that 2000 a day to start. See where that takes you.

I think you know, but 1300 a day isn't enough at all!

Here is one of my favourite informative MFP posts about pregnancy weight gain and post partum weight loss. You might find it useful too:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10176233/gaining-weight-during-pregnancy-and-losing-it-post-partum
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Oh, I miss the extra calories I ate while breastfeeding! I added "breastfeeding" as a cardio exercise to add back the calories I needed. I changed it as my kid got older and offloaded fewer calories. For twins, add a thousand calories. YES - go up to 2,300 calories, and see how it goes. If you notice a change in milk supply, add more calories. There will be time to lose the weight after you're a bit further down the line if it's not happening right now.