Running Everyday

Options
How safe is it to run 5-6 days a week if only running 1-2 miles each day?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Depends if you've always done it or not? If not start at every other day and increase slowly
  • slowbubblecar
    slowbubblecar Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    It is fine as long as you are comfortable with it. I used to run an hour a day every day for 6-7 miles. Just try not to overdo it if you aren't feeling well.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Depends if you've always done it or not? If not start at every other day and increase slowly

^^^ This: running induces a number of physiological changes in your body which take time and recovery even if you're running relatively modest distances.

If memory serves me correctly there was a runner who recently ended a 45 year streak where he ran not less than 1 mile per day but he had been running for some time before starting the streak.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    IMO, whenever someone asks a question like this, the answer is usually "no". Running daily is almost universally recommended against.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Options
    If you are a new runner, it's better to build up gradually. Do 3 days a week, then four, then 5. If you've been running consistently for a few years, then short runs aren't a problem. I have a friend who is in year four of a streak and another who is in her second year, but both have been running for a long time.

You should be able to walk every day, if you are trying to get some sort of aerobic exercise on a daily basis. It's not as high impact, so won't put as much stress on the joints.
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    This really depends on your stats and activity level. For avid runners a slow 1 mile jog is a rest day, for a new runner or over weight individual is is a big deal, so you would want a rest day.
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    You need rest days to recover. I'm currently doing a running every day challenge throughout January, and I've been running for many years so I am already used to running, but I'm looking forward to having a rest day as soon as this challenge is over, I need it! On the days I would normally be resting, I'm just doing a slow steady couple of miles so that I'm not over doing it. If you're fairly new to running, you shouldn't run every day otherwise you'll be prone to injury.