Strength Training Videos

Can anyone recommond a good strength training video that I can use to workout in my home? I currently do a Jessica Smith video for strength training with hand weights. But, the articles that I am reading sounds like I need to use really heavy weights. I am currently using five pounds and I am having trouble finishing the route.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited January 2017
    I would suggest picking a strength training program from the thread below and then searching for good form videos for each exercise in the program.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

The programs themselves may have videos at the links provided. For those that don't, here are a few good people/sites you can search for on Youtube and look at their form videos:

- Mark Rippetoe
    - Allan Thrall
    - Scott Herman
    - Livestrong (I don't know what the woman's name is but I like her videos)
    - Bret Contreras

Bodybuilding.com also has good form videos for many exercises.
  • booradleymo
    booradleymo Posts: 11 Member
    You can go a long ways with 5 lb weights. A rule of thumb I've heard is if you can do 8-12 repetitions and the last few are a struggle, you know you're using the right amount of weight. I love Jessica Smith's workouts. One thing I have learned is that I need a few different weight options. Three lbs on some moves is more than enough while other moves, I'm ready for eights. As the movements get easier, keep progressing to heavier weights. I really like Jillian Michaels No More Trouble Zones for a challenge. Also Core Fusion's Body Sculpt DVD is tough but excellent if you want strength training mixed with pilates/yoga/Barre. I'm actually on the lookout for a new strength DVD myself and that's how I came across your post.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    It's an older program and the outfits are super cheesy but I like Chalean Extreme! It's a good program if you have dumbbells and no access to a barbell.

Also the book Strong Curves is good and has several programs you can follow. It has modifications for bodyweight and dumbbells.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    As far as heavyweights it all depends on what you want to do. If you go heavy weights your bulk up and if you go with lower weights and a lot of reps you'll develop more of a lean physique it's a personal preference. Also when I say both up you're not going to get big muscles but you will get toned. At the gym I workout with their whole bunch of girls who lift heavy. Genetically you can't develop muscle tone like a guy but these girls even though they lift heavy they look very feminine.

As for myself for home workouts I'm a big fan of Tony Horton I've done 10 minute trainer the old P90 then you P90 version and I've also done a few rounds of P90X.