what worked for you for losing the most weight?

For me, i cut out all sugar and bread. Its always been more of an experiment for me, i tried cutting back a lot of calories (i was down to maybe 1000 calories a day or less. I know, not exactly healthy), exercised everyday (running for 2 hours) and never touched junk food. But, after a month or 2 the weight loss slowed and stopped. I upped my calories and didn't exercise as much (now i run or dance a couple of times a week for an hour) and i still don't touch sugar but, i may have the occasional bowl of chips. and my weight has been going down. Lots of water and cutting out pop definitely helped me out. What about you guys? whats worked and what hasn't??

Replies

• EuroDriver12
    EuroDriver12 Posts: 805 Member
    Training everyday
    6 healthy meals
    Carb cycling for extreme shredding
  • by cutting out all sugar do you also mean natural sugar like fruits? for example i'm always way over my sugar limit because i have a banana almost every day, but i don't drink pop or eat candy. because i'm still having problems losing weight and i was wondering if its because of the natural sugar in the fruit i eat
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Figuring out my BMR and TDEE.
    Eating at a deficit.
    Lifting heavy.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Eating at a deficit.
    Lifting heavy.
    pretty much this.
  • EyeOTS
    EyeOTS Posts: 362 Member
    Just eating the recommended calories and focusing on fruits and vegetables.
  • LovinDaNewLiz14
    LovinDaNewLiz14 Posts: 217 Member
    CUTTING out alcohol and limiting my bread and sweets....doing some type of cardio for 30 mintues
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Eating at a deficit.
    Lifting heavy.
    Truth, although most people tend to overcomplicate it.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    taking in less calories than i use, consistently, over time. but i'm not a wizard like some folks
  • - Tracking what I eat everyday (even before myfitnesspal)
    - Weighing myself everyday
    - Looking out for what I eat (1,200 calories & avoiding bad food/drinks like diet soda)
    - Remind myself why I am doing this
    - Watch youtube videos on Weight Loss
    - Being able to get used to eating well, eating smaller meals. The temptation is still there but, I feel like it's not as much.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Calculating my TDEE, -20% from it.
    Watching my macronutrients.
    Exercising.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Eating at a deficit.
    Lifting heavy.
    Truth, although most people tend to overcomplicate it.

20120121121854!ArtieTruth.gif
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Eating Less than I burn (I am happy to say that sometimes I get to eat 2000+ calories in a day without coming out of my deficit...woot)

Exercise (cardio + strength/resistance training) 4-6 days per week 20-90mins depending on mood
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    For me South Beach works best, basically cutting out most sugar and refined carbs and eating lots of veggies.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    moderation
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Eating at a moderate deficit.
    Using a food scale for logging accuracy
    Not cutting out any foods.
  • Creating a calorie deficit seems to be the only really consistent way for me to burn fat. For a while I was not eating much carbs but I was eating so much extra fat that my calorie intake didn't change much. Just track your calories and adjust downward as necessary.
  • Tanana66
    Tanana66 Posts: 84 Member
    Reducing carbs (NOT eliminating) - refined sugar and wheat mostly. I have low carb days if I dont exercise and higher carb days when I do.
    Finding a sport I like to do and do it.
  • BSdevon
    BSdevon Posts: 77
    Calorie deficit. Cardio plan - alternating HIIT and LISS.
  • katinaxo
    katinaxo Posts: 6
    by cutting out all sugar do you also mean natural sugar like fruits? for example i'm always way over my sugar limit because i have a banana almost every day, but i don't drink pop or eat candy. because i'm still having problems losing weight and i was wondering if its because of the natural sugar in the fruit i eat

No - unless you are a bodybuilder training for Olympia you aren't going to need to worry about the natural sugars in fruits. There are more benefits to the nutrients and enzymes in fruits (things we NEED) than any issues regarding sugars in fruits.

We've eaten fruits for millions of years and obesity is a recent epidemic. What we need to worry about are processed sugars and artificial processed foods - things our bodies don't actually know what to do with.

Trade the sugar in your cupboard for something like stevia and you'll have a much better time - but do eat your fruit. :)

P.S things that have helped me the most are much like someone mentioned above
    - eating 6-7 smaller, nutrient packed foods (I'm eating MORE now than I ever used to)
    - lifting heavy
    - stopped eating things that bothered my stomach like dairy and gluten rich foods
    - say no to simple carbs
    - drinking water (we all hold so much more liquid than we realise, lol)
  • stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Breaking my poor eating habits and gaining a full button using Intermittent Fasting.

I now regularly reduce my old portion size or leave food on my plate and seem to have automatically started to eat more fruit and veg and far less pasta and bread.

Now I need to get back to exercising regularly.