Bulletproof or Keto?

Options
Just wondering if anyone out there has any experience with either of these diets.

I am looking to make a big change and from what I have been reading this is the way for me to go - any tips or recommendations would be great. :)

Replies

• warlikepeace
    warlikepeace Posts: 2 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I do keto and love it. 12lbs lost 15 days.

I'm not familiar with bulletproof though. What is that? The only thing that comes to my mind is bulletproof coffee that is poplar in is to/lchf.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    FroodleMum wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone out there has any experience with either of these diets.

I am looking to make a big change and from what I have been reading this is the way for me to go - any tips or recommendations would be great. :)

What about either keto or bulletproof is making you feel it's the way for you to go?

Not saying they are or they aren't, just curious as to your reasons. :)
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Honestly they are no better then any other diet plan. The question you need to ask yourself is... "Can I stick with this?" If you can, they will work, if not, try something else...
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    The diet that you can stick with is the best. Unfortunately, you are going to have to play around with things as a means to address energy balance and satiety/compliance.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Lots of people here do keto. Check out the Low Carber Daily group.

I'm not interested in keto -- I like carbs and especially the idea of having to worry about too many veg or limiting the types of fruit I eat is not for me -- but I do eat somewhat lower carb. That said, it works well for many people, so if that way of eating appeals to you or you want to see how it affects satiety or something, give it a try.

I think the Bulletproof guy is pretty scammy, so I'd avoid that, personally.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options

What is it about either of these two that make you think they would be the way for you to go...not saying they're not, but a "big change" doesn't have to mean extreme restrictions.

A big change for me was just eating a more balanced and nutritious diet with a lot more quality whole foods...it includes all three macros.

Personally, I'm not really into restricting entire macro nutrients...I see little point in it unless it's been medically advised.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

What is it about either of these two that make you think they would be the way for you to go...not saying they're not, but a "big change" doesn't have to mean extreme restrictions.

A big change for me was just eating a more balanced and nutritious diet with a lot more quality whole foods...it includes all three macros.

Personally, I'm not really into restricting entire macro nutrients...I see little point in it unless it's been medically advised.

^^This.

A "big change" for me was learning what I actually ate in a typical day and then making small, incremental, sustainable changes in what and how much I ate.

It wasn't sexy, it wasn't trendy. But it also wasn't complicated and it worked like a charm. :)

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

For some reason, this is something a lot of people don't seem interested in trying, and I agree that it's a great approach. (I think some may do better on keto anyway, but so often people see jumping to some named diet or restrictive diet as the only alternative to the so-called SAD, and I am never sure why. Probably related to whatever causes people to think carbs=junk food.)
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

As others have asked, why do you think this is a good fit for you? In general, I think big changes are hard to sustain - and prefer a series of small changes, implemented individually, so that they have a better chance of becoming permanent habits. Making a big change from the way you are currently eating could be a short lived endeavor, but making small changes may be more sustainable.

Just kind of depends what kind of person you are and what your motivation is for either of these solutions. Personally, I'm a fan of moderation in all things, but I think there could be benefits for some folks to going low or low(er) carb if it helps with a medical condition or if someone finds that to be a satiating way of eating.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

For some reason, this is something a lot of people don't seem interested in trying, and I agree that it's a great approach. (I think some may do better on keto anyway, but so often people see jumping to some named diet or restrictive diet as the only alternative to the so-called SAD, and I am never sure why. Probably related to whatever causes people to think carbs=junk food.)

I have a friend who bounces around from diet to diet to diet...she's done it for years now...I kind of feel like it's "fashion"...whatever's trendy and fashionable, she's on it...like wearing a brand. IDK...I get most of my clothes from COSTCO...so maybe I just don't think that way.