Tips for Pizza eating

Options
Whats the best pizza to get in a pinch and still stay in your diet range?

Replies

• brixtonbanner
    brixtonbanner Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I too was desperate for a Pizza so I worked out the calories in that pizza (prawn sweetcorn and chilli mmmm)
    and ensured I did that number plus 10% of calories worth of cardio.

Got me out of the housework too as a kind of Bonus
    Good luck
    Brixton
  • corsayre8
    corsayre8 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Open mouth, insert pizza, chew, swallow, die happy.

But seriously, most pizza slices are under 300 calories a slice. Fill up on salad first, limit yourself to a piece or two. Maybe try to burn a few extra calories. Don't stress over it so much, enjoy life.
  • taidasrictar
    taidasrictar Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    My strategy for pizza are

if you’re making it yourself sub pizza crust with other things like tortillas, english muffins, Pitas, or Naan anything you can think of that can make the calorie footprint of that pizza smaller

For ordering out

Opt for thin crusts: you can usually have more slices of a thin crust vs a normal or pan depending on how it is topped

If you ordering from a major chain check the nutrition section of their website and know what your getting into ahead of time so you can set your slice limit and stick to it

Good luck :)
  • Kidlaa
    Kidlaa Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    The best option for pizza is to order a thin crust, easy cheese, marinara sauce, and vegetable toppings. Meat topping always have excess calories and so does a lot of cheese. Limit your pizza to only a few slices and pair it with a healthy salad. This is the best way to relieve your craving for Pizza and keep it on a healthy side. Enjoy!
  • FlowmO
    FlowmO Posts: 6
    Options
    Make your own grain free pizza!?!

These are great:
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/personal-portobello-pizza/

And you can customize 'm to your own taste :)
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Don't get the pan crust under any circumstances. The only thing more disturbing than the posted calorie total is what it comes up to after whoever's in back pumps an extra squirt of grease into the pan because it's easier to flip onto the cutting board that way.
  • Nessa0506
    Nessa0506 Posts: 81
    Options
    Sliced eggplant brushed with olive oil
    Good quality tomato sauce
    Low fat mozzarella cheese
    Veggie pepperoni

Bake in 400 degree oven for 15 mins

Add a nice salad and you got a meal!

- if your diet allows, you can even bread the eggplant with italian crumbs and lightly fry in olive/coconut oil before putting in oven. You still will be significantly cutting calories.
  • operation_cute
    operation_cute Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    little caesers is about 250 cals per slice... you could have 2 pieces with a salad... that always does the trick for me :) When I don't have room in my calorie goal though, I take a spinich wrap, sautee some chicken breast with onions and peppers, fill the wrap with the chicken, drizzle pizza sauce, and sprinkle mozzarella cheese, wrap it up, grill on the george forman, and its yummy!
  • WeightHacker
    WeightHacker Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    My strategy for pizza are

if you’re making it yourself sub pizza crust with other things like tortillas, english muffins, Pitas, or Naan anything you can think of that can make the calorie footprint of that pizza smaller

For ordering out

Opt for thin crusts: you can usually have more slices of a thin crust vs a normal or pan depending on how it is topped

If you ordering from a major chain check the nutrition section of their website and know what your getting into ahead of time so you can set your slice limit and stick to it

Good luck :)

i was gonna say something like that someone beat me to it ;D
  • Granville_Cocteau
    Granville_Cocteau Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Thin-crust, light on the cheese.
    Or eat the pizza on your cheat day.
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    If eating out ask them to cut it in half and put half in a takeout box before the other half arrives at the table! That way you won't be tempted to eat the other half. Bulk with salad. Enjoy the other half for breakfast the next day. I do this with curry and it works for me? :-)
  • Project9
    Project9 Posts: 135
    Options
    Lots of good tips, I'm taking notes.

I had a personal pizza today. it was pepperoni. I was concerned about the sodium so I took off the pepperoni and substituted broccoli. I weighed the pepperoni (= 1 oz) ran the numbers on mfp and using that data I deducted 480 mg of sodium.
  • Project9
    Project9 Posts: 135
    Options
    Sliced eggplant brushed with olive oil
    Good quality tomato sauce
    Low fat mozzarella cheese
    Veggie pepperoni

Bake in 400 degree oven for 15 mins

Add a nice salad and you got a meal!

- if your diet allows, you can even bread the eggplant with italian crumbs and lightly fry in olive/coconut oil before putting in oven. You still will be significantly cutting calories.

so the eggplant slice is the pizza crust?
  • savgar32
    savgar32 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    If I wanna make them at home, I'll use english muffins or pita bread and just add daiya cheese (I'm vegan but even if you're not it is a less fattening choice and tastes pretty good)! As far as eating out, I know it's not the same but at most places you can order without cheese/ ask for vegan cheese. Also I've recently discovered that a lot of restaurants have nutrition information and a calculator ( mellow mushroom being one of them) that will give you the calories, fat, etc. :smile:
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    For making "pizza" at home, we use Jospeh's 60 calorie pitas for the crust, spread on pesto or red sauce, a layer of spinach, a layer of cheese, and then whatever toppings you want. Pretty low cal and healthy and depending on how many calories you have available, you might fit in two or three pizzas for your meal.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Sub broccoli for pepperoni??? :noway: LOL I like broccoli, but I have my limits! Eat the pepperoni, drink extra water! :laugh:
  • minionofevil
    minionofevil Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I make homemade pizza, which has less calories by far. Instead of like 200-300cals/slice eating out, i can make an entire pizza sized pizza (not a tiny one) for like 800 cals or less. homemade garlic dough, spinach, feta and mozarella. SO delicious, and low cal! and you can eat the entire thing and not feel guilty.
  • Agate69
    Agate69 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Make a pizza on a low carb tortilla and pretend you have cheese and meat