Carb Cycling. Help.

Options
So, I heard of this carb-cycling method that greatly increases your fat loss endeavors. I'm just wondering of how I should do it. Some say that I should do it 3-4 days in a row. Would that really be necessary? Or can I play with my carb eating days? Like have a low carb day every Sundays, Wednesdays, and Fridays; high carb on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays and leave Mondays for no carb/fasting day? I just need all the tips I can get on this one. I really want to get lean! :) Thanks.

Replies

• tjthegreatone
    Options
    So, I heard of this carb-cycling method that greatly increases your fat loss endeavors. I'm just wondering of how I should do it. Some say that I should do it 3-4 days in a row. Would that really be necessary? Or can I play with my carb eating days? Like have a low carb day every Sundays, Wednesdays, and Fridays; high carb on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays and leave Mondays for no carb/fasting day? I just need all the tips I can get on this one. I really want to get lean! :) Thanks.
    Where did you hear about it? I'm curious. It sounds complicated though (and what counts as low carb?)
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    You can eat less than 40g of carbs every day. That way your body will switch to burning fat instead of carbohydrates for energy. I think it's called a keto or low carb or ketogenic diet. Your body takes a few weeks before it gets the hint and switches to burning fat. After that you are like an eskimo. They don't eat carbs either. After that if you eat some carbs one day and then switch to low carbs your body will be faster to go back to ketogenic. Just the first time it takes a while.

People that also do weight lifting will sometimes cycle carbs, like eat carbs one day per week. That's usually their heavy lifting day. Carbs are a better "instant super energy" fuel than fat. So lifting results will be better than that. Strictly speaking you never need to cycle carbs though.

I think professional body builders (mostly) don't bother with a ketogenic diet. It's a drastic step to take. You should talk to a doctor / dietist first. I think on this site plenty of people do it though. It may be a more efficient way of burning fat. If you don't have big amounts of fat to lose you are better with a non-low carb diet (more than 40g per day).

I've never tried any of this myself. Good luck :)