Breathing techniques while running?

Options
I get winded very easily. Does anyone have any special ways to breathe for when they're running?

Replies

• MomSpelledBackwards
    Options
    You might be running faster then your body is ready to. Google online and see what your heart rate range should be for your height and weight. I would also suggest this book called Fit or Fat. It's an easy quick read and really breaks it down on how to steadily increase your running and just how winded you should really be when running. Have fun!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I get winded very easily. Does anyone have any special ways to breathe for when they're running?

Running slower...

I generally just breathe through my mouth the whole time, 2 paces in, 3 out works for me.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any special ways to breathe for when they're running?

In, followed by out. Sometimes, for a bit of variety, I'll go for out then in...

:laugh:
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I'm asthmatic and was advised by the asthma nurse : breathe in through your nose for a count of 4,blow out through your mouth for a count of 6.
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I sing, out loud, usually just under my breath type of out loud but really found it helps regulate my breathing - if I stop singing I get stitch. I tried and tested this during two 5km runs and yep, singing definitely helped me.
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    slow down and breathe from both your mouth and nose.more oxygen in=easier breathing
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I'm a beginner (running for about a year).

My breathing arranges it's self into an in, in, out pattern with the out lasting as long as the two ins.

It's just evolved this way. At first I just counted to 20 steps over in my head to take my mind off trying to breathe.

I try and keep in mind that blowing the carbon dioxide off is just as important to the gas exchange in the capillaries of your lungs as sucking on the oxygen.
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Deep slow breaths, if you can't do that and your breathing is shallow and fast, you're likely running too fast to keep it under control.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,694 Member
    Options
    Just relax and run more slowly. Run at a pace where you can talk out loud in whole sentences. I find that if I focus too much on my breathing, I can't breathe right. Better to just relax and let your body do what it already knows how to do.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    If you're getting out of breath slow down. You should try to run at a pace whereby you can speak in whole sentences which can be difficult when you're first starting out. Try to keep your breathing deep but relaxed and take short walking breaks as needed.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    If you're getting out of breath slow down. You should try to run at a pace whereby you can speak in whole sentences which can be difficult when you're first starting out. Try to keep your breathing deep but relaxed and take short walking breaks as needed.

^^ This for sure!!

I am asthmatic and it worked for me. I don't breath in through my nose and out of my mouth. I breath in and out through both. I couldn't get enough air just breathing in through my nose. So do what works for you, but slowing down is a great place to start!! You will eventually be able to speed up with our getting winded when you get stronger!
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    If I'm running slow and relaxed, in through nose 3 steps, out 3 steps, if I'm running a bit faster but still conversational, in 3, mostly through nose, out mouth for 2. If I'm running really hard, (the last bit of a race, intervals, uphill) I breathe in through my mouth for 2 and out for 2. A doctor who is also a runner told me that before a hill, it will help to do the more frequent breathing to provide your body with more oxygen.

The reason for breathing in through your nose is because as you increase your mileage, you may get a sore throat if you're constantly breathing through your mouth. If you aren't used to this, just practice during runs for a short period of time and gradually increase until it becomes comfortable. It will feel awkward at first. Again, practicing during easy runs will make it become 2nd nature. You wouldn't want to start trying this out in a race.

As others mentioned, make sure you aren't running too fast. You shouldn't be going all out as fast as you can go during most of your runs. If you can't hold a conversation while running or sing to a song, you're going too fast.
    Have fun!
  • jagodfrey08
    jagodfrey08 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I have to really focus on my reaching when running. So, I breathe in through my nose for a count of 3 or 4 and slowly blow out through my mouth for a count of 3 or 4. It helps keep me in rhythm and keeps me focused on my breathing. Also keeps my breathing slow and steady.
  • amattia2003
    amattia2003 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you run with music, I find that downloading some military running cadences and singing them helps tremendously- both with breath control and pace. It forces you to breathe in and out at a regular rate without even thinking about it and you will find your time/distance to be very consistent. If you don't want strange looks, just mouth the words to yourself- same effect as long as you are exhaling while you do it.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Breath in for 4 steps and out for 3 steps works for me