Options
2»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Zoey2715 wrote: »
    Whether or not sugar is good or bad, we Americans eat too much of it.

How much sugar other Americans eat isn't really relevant to one's personal diet. I don't help America by eliminating sugar vs. eating a reasonable amount of it.
    The consumption of excess sugar (in any form) throws our insulin levels out of balance and stimulates fat storage (which is why so many overweight people suffer from malnutrition).

No.

First, yes, excess sugar (specifically, excess added sugar which relates to excess calories and a less nutrient dense diet) is a problem. Note "excess."

Second, no, it's not about "throwing insulin levels out of balance" (that's not how it works) or "stimulating fat storage." Sugar or no, you aren't going to add fat in a deficit and are going to add fat with a surplus (although if it's part of a bulk you might be able to add more muscle).

Third, if "so many" overweight people suffer from malnutrition it has diddly to do with insulin. It's because they eat a poor diet.

And it may blow your mind, but I happen to be an American who doesn't like overly sweet food (many things I consider too sweet, although I do enjoy some sweet desserts, like homemade apple pie or gelato.
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    This is sponsored by the sugar industry so I'd imagine the most robust evidence that sugar is benign would be linked to here.

Sugars and Health Controversies: What Does the Science Say?

We don't actually know if sugar is uniquely harmful or not yet, IMO.
    thank you! How do I know who the "sponsor " is

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    This is sponsored by the sugar industry so I'd imagine the most robust evidence that sugar is benign would be linked to here.

Sugars and Health Controversies: What Does the Science Say?

We don't actually know if sugar is uniquely harmful or not yet, IMO.
    thank you! How do I know who the "sponsor " is

↵3 Author disclosures: JM Rippe’s research laboratory has received unrestricted grants and JM Rippe has received consulting fees from ConAgra Foods, Kraft Foods, the Florida Department of Citrus, PepsiCo International, The Coca-Cola Company, the Corn Refiners Association, Weight Watchers International, Dr. Pepper Snapple Group, and various publishers. TJ Angelopoulos, no conflicts of interest.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    This is often posted. Ultimate, calories drives obesity.

Carbs%2Bvs.%2Bobesity%2B%2528sugar%2529.jpg

I was going to post this as well...sugar consumption has actually been on the decline while obesity has continued to rise...moral of the story...people eat too much friggin' food.

That said, I do believe that people eating the SAD do consume an excess of sugar even with it on the decline...I certainly don't think it's the devil, but I do believe over-consumption is still an issue.
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    i would be ok with people saying I want to eat less sugar, but this whole we gonna die fighting a piece of cake never made any sense to me. I love to read the studies, it soooo eye opening
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,688 Member
    Options
    Zoey2715 wrote: »
    Whether or not sugar is good or bad, we Americans eat too much of it. The consumption of excess sugar (in any form) throws our insulin levels out of balance and stimulates fat storage (which is why so many overweight people suffer from malnutrition). Over the last 50 years, sugar has become one of the cheapest flavorings and preservatives in the United States due to government policy that benefits corn farmers and ensures over production. Since this cheap ingredient is found in almost all processed foods (generally any food found in the middle aisles of your supermarket) American taste buds have gotten used to overly sweet foods -- we think it is normal. Maybe sugar is not addictive (although for me, the more I eat sugar the more I want sugar), but Americans do expect their food to be overly sweet. For food manufacturers, this simple fact has proven to be key to increased sales and decreased costs. Personally, I believe there is merit in changing your taste buds to like less sweet foods if only to keep your insulin in check.
    Protein will raise insulin too, but that's another topic.
    And I'll agree to a point that many people consume more sugar than THEY NEED on a daily basis, but sugar is only a part of the calories. The reality is people in America consume a COMBINED overage of calories on a daily basis. The south east region carries the highest obesity rate and pride themselves on HOME COOKING. A lot of their foods are fried and laced with a lot of fat and carbs. So it's not just sugar that's the issue. It's just part of the problem.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png