Tying my shoes

Options

Good morning! Another newbie runner question, if you can stand it. I have been running for a little over a year now. My current focus is on getting to the point of being able to run for an hour without dying (also known as learning how to do an easy "long" run).

When I'm out for more than half an hour, I find that my feet seem to fall asleep on me. I think it's related to how my shoes fit on my feet. If I change my gait enough to change where my shoes put pressure on my feet, it'll stop for a bit. I just can't run that other way for very long and my feet go to sleep again.

Have other people had this problem, and if so, are there fixes that I should be looking for?

By way of information, if it matters, I wear a Mizuno Wave Inspire 13. I recently got a new pair and, because I'm not putting inserts in my shoes anymore, when up a half size to compensate. (My inserts were arch supports that shortened my foot slightly.)

Thanks!
ThyPeace, running gear is complicated.

Replies

• kxbrown27
    kxbrown27 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Did you buy the shoes because they are comfortable or did you get fitted at a running store? If you haven't been fitted, I'd highly recommend it. Proper fit solves a multitude of problems. I'm not sure you should be able to change your gait while running.

You may want to look into compression socks. Even though the jury is still out on the effectiveness, some people have reported positive results from the effect they have on blood flow.
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Your shoelaces are too tight if you foot is falling asleep, it's because as you run your feet swell up. Loosen the laces a bit. I had this problem all the time until someone told me that, and I always switch my laces on new running shoes to elastic laces now, no more numb feet!
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    I had the exact same issue when I first started trying to run. First thing I did was switch to a mid/forefoot footstrike, rather than a heelstrike. It reduces impact on your feet/legs, and makes them more like shock-absorbers.

I think the biggest fix for me was changing the way I laced my shoes. I believe for me, the numbness comes because I have high arches/instep, so shoes tend to be too tight over the tops of my feet. This is how I lace my shoes. Leaving this gap across the top of my foot has been very helpful.

08somr13bc99.jpg

And, as kxbrown27 mentioned, it's also very important to get fitted for running shoes at a reliable, quality running store. This could just be chalked up to the wrong shoes for your feet.
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/alternative-ways-to-tie-your-running-shoes

Check out this link regarding different ways to tie your shoes to alleviate issues.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Your shoelaces are too tight if you foot is falling asleep, it's because as you run your feet swell up. Loosen the laces a bit. I had this problem all the time until someone told me that, and I always switch my laces on new running shoes to elastic laces now, no more numb feet!

This was my first thought too. In fact, based on the title of your thread, I thought you'd come to the same conclusion yourself.

• Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    When I first started running I asked how tight to tie my shoes. The answer was "not too tight". I didn't get it at the time but now I realize that is actually a good answer. I have gone to all Lock Laces, so I don't tie my running shoes anymore.
  • ThyPeace
    ThyPeace Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Drat. I started a reply earlier today and ended up losing it. A shorter version:

My shoes were fitted at a running store. I had made the mistake of going and buying a random pair of shoes at the local big box sporting goods store, which led almost immediately to some pretty severe arch pain. I have, apparently, flat, weak feet. The manager spent more than an hour working with me to figure out how to get the best foot movement and minimize the pain. I ended up with the Wave Inspire 12 and arch support inserts, though there were a couple of other options that he had me try as well. These felt the most like my most-comfortable walking shoes (Red Wings steel-toed shoes with Red Wings inserts), so I bought them.

The last time I was there, I bought the Wave Inspire 13 (which feels identical to me) and didn't replace the inserts. Once they failed enough that they hurt more than helped, I took them out. I think that was an okay decision; I'm noticing some muscle soreness in my feet, but not and real pain. I figure the muscle soreness will work itself out as my feet continue to get stronger.

Anyway, that's a long way of saying that I think I have a decent shoe for me.

And yes, I did kind of wonder if there was a different method of tying my shoes that might work. I had tried just tying my shoes looser, but that led to the heal sliding around and squishing my toes. Some of the suggested options here, though, look like they might do the trick. It's definitely over the top of the foot where the problems are.

Thanks, everyone!
    ThyPeace, going to go unlace and try a few things now.