Quitting Smoking, But Terrified Of Gaining!

Options
Hi all! I'm on my last pack of cigarettes. If I'm going to lose the weight I want by June, I feel like I should make the full commitment to my health. However, I'm really concerned I'm going to gain!! Anyone have a success story to share about quitting and still losing? Tips? And how'd you do it?

Replies

• serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    Sugar free gum, going for walks, log all your food and any little tidbit you may nibble on. Keep yourself accountable for your calories and you will be far less likely to snack your way to being smoke free.
  • cnavarro002
    cnavarro002 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    My husband quit, and he found that chewing on carrot and celery sticks helped a lot. He also chewed up a lot of straws! He needed to have something thin in his mouth to crave the habit. Good luck!
  • kellylynnshonting
    kellylynnshonting Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this truly works or how long (time wise) you would need to do this activity, but I have read that if you are a smoker looking to quit to go and sit in a sauna for three days in a row and it will help draw the nicotine out of your body (which will help reduce cravings).
  • tahxirez
    tahxirez Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    LenGray wrote: »
    I quit smoking cold turkey almost 3 years ago after a 13 year habit. It was, and still is, one of the best decisions that I've ever made.

The most important thing to remember is that a craving only lasts about 3 minutes. Granted, it'll be the longest 3 minutes of your life at first, but it's only 3 minutes. I figured out really quickly that I wasn't going to be able to just 'ride it out' during a craving, so I started doing things to keep myself occupied. I also didn't want to gain weight. So, instead of turning to food to stay busy, I found activities:

I learned how to sew. Cross-stitching and knitting were lifesavers because they focused my brain on something other than cigarettes.

I began to strength train with dumbbells. Fun Fact: It takes about 9 minutes to do a set of 3 compound exercises and even one set will boost your endorphin levels if it's a moderate amount of weight

I went for long walks. I never liked to smoke while I was walking somewhere because I'd get out of breath so walking was a good way to fight cravings and the jitters that come from withdrawal.

I began to draw. I had really bad insomnia and nightmares for a while. Drawing was a relaxing activity that helped me deal with how I was feeling and get back to sleep. Plus, I could chew on the pencil.

I learned how to cook. About two weeks after you quit, the nicotine and tar will be gone from your nasal cavities and you'll be able to smell again. After living with smokers my whole life and then becoming one, the smell of food was intoxicating in those first few weeks (which is why most smokers gain weight) By cooking my own food, I was able to indulge my newfound sense of smell and eat healthy food.

Those are some of the things that I did. Hopefully they help! Feel free to add me if you'd like some support and encouragement as you go through the process :)

All of this is excellent advice. I'll add a few things that i did as well: Carry your water bottle everywhere. Drink water during a crave for both satiety and hand to mouth movement. If you must munch use low calorie snacks that require a lot of chewing. Celery and carrots are the go to snack. If you don't want celery and carrots you aren't really hungry.
    Add in exercise if you haven't already, anything counts including walking. If emotional/stress triggers are your thing, go for a walk, remove yourself from the situation (I have a hot temper.)
    Read Allen Carr's Easy way to quit smoking-helps release the fears associated with quitting and recognize your addiction for what it really is
    Finally, check out Quitnet.com. It is a community of quitters. The philosophy is simple. All you have to do to quit is just not smoke (its a little harder to practice but totally doable.) Quitnet works, it helps you realize that all your addict behaviors are normal responses to your quit. There is nothing to fear and everything to gain.

Good luck to you! I hope to see you there :)
  • amythomas9575
    amythomas9575 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi, I don't post on here very much, but I just wanted to say that I stopped smoking 8 months ago and I smoked around 20 cigarettes a day.

I was very concerned about putting on weight, but in the end I ended up losing weight: I had more energy to walk without being out of breath, I drank a lot less alcohol because I associated it with smoking and didn't want to be tempted and thus cut out more calories unintentionally. I signed up for activities that weren't associated with smoking to distract myself (started learning Spanish, joined a running club and a book group). I also ate a lot of sugar free mints! (probably not such a good tip). I also went to get my teeth cleaned immediately after giving up-to encourage myself not to start again.

Having said this, I used NRT to give up smoking and weaned myself down from 21mg/day to 0 so I still had nicotine in my system up to 2 months ago which I suspect helps suppress food cravings. I don't know whether going cold turkey is the same as I don't have any experience of it.

It is hard, but it is worth it. Apart from the obvious health issues, my hair doesn't smell anymore, and I look less tired plus I THINK I have less cellulite due to better circulation (although I might be imagining it)!
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Pretzels, veggie sticks and popcorn were helpful for me. I am here now because i went for quite a while with an un-diagnosed thyroid problem. no 5 or 10 pounds are worth smoking though. 12 years clean.
  • Miz_T
    Miz_T Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    My quitaversary was January 15th, 2012. Cinnamon sticks helped a great deal. Hit me up if you want my story.
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Hi. I was a pack-a-day smoker (or more) and quit in October. I used Chantix, and a device called a QuitKey that weaned me down to one, then done. I gained back about ten pounds. In January I started the Whole30 protocol and I have lost those ten and a few more, and still trending down.

It can be done. By you. Just find a plan and get on it. Find that inner warrior, and don't take any prisoners. I ain't sayin' it's easy...

Good luck. Add me if you like. PM me if you want to discuss it further.
  • LenGray
    LenGray Posts: 842 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I don't know if this truly works or how long (time wise) you would need to do this activity, but I have read that if you are a smoker looking to quit to go and sit in a sauna for three days in a row and it will help draw the nicotine out of your body (which will help reduce cravings).

Actually, it's not just a sauna that does this :) Epsom salt baths do the same thing (and smell amazing! :heart: )

I second the ideas on carrots and celery for snacks. Celery was my BFF for those first few months. Also, eating whole apples is great too. They will actually scrape the nicotine off of your teeth.

Dental hygiene is also a good habit to replace smoking with. I brush and floss daily, usually multiple times a day because I can't stand the feel of something on my teeth anymore. Plus it helps with the whole hands/mouth thing.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey at the same time I decided to lose weight, which was more than 2 years ago now. I had no real issues past the first week and I went on to lose 41kg, so great success on my part.
  • VanVanDiane
    VanVanDiane Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey about 3 years ago, after about 30 years off and on (mostly on) smoking. I did put on weight (I wasn't trying to lose, wasn't on mfp and figured an extra few pounds was more healthy than a nicotine habit). I'm still quit, and have lost the extra weight (and more) using this app - it can definitely be done!

I still have the cigarette dreams though - I wake up all deflated then realise it was just a dream & feel such relief! My husband still smokes socially on occasion, but I'm well in the stage where it just stinks bad - even after a drink it's no temptation. You can do this!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    You have to replace this with another habit. Many do not and just quit smoking and left with a vacuum of what to occupy your time, which is why many fail or replace smoking with eating.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You won't just gain weight unless you start overeating. A good tip would be to NOT replace smoking with eating.

I can share a true story, too: I lost weight through calorie counting and exercise while quitting smoking. But then I gained weight again. Then I lost, and gained. Now I've lost, and finally maintaining. Stopped consistent overeating. Never going to smoke again either :D
  • Spartan_Gingi
    Spartan_Gingi Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    You guys are awesome! Thanks for sharing. This is exactly the encouragement I was hoping for :). It's great to hear your success stories!
  • kermax39
    kermax39 Posts: 149 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I stopped last September, I did gain a little but I dont think it was because I was eating more.....I still logged everything. The cheat days were becoming a bit more often but I think that was more to do with me lowering my calories because by that point I had lost 3 stone. If a heavy smoker stops smoking the body gradually doesnt need to work quite so hard so burns less calories. This is the reason people gain but is only temporary, dont let that put u off, just keep logging everything and any initial gain should be small. Good luck, stopping smoking was best thing I ever did. Iv so much more energy now and a few pounds richer into the bargain :-)
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Even if you do gain a few pounds, stay firm. 5 pounds won't hurt you in the long run even a tiny fraction as much as smoking will. Maybe walk for 5 mins in lieu of your smoke breaks and it will all even out in the end.
  • BluBell56
    BluBell56 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    So happy to see this post today. I quit smoking almost 3 months ago and I've gained about 8 lbs. I can't stand the extra weight. I did read that smoking causes you to burn calories so that when you quit, even you don't eat more, you are burning less calories and will likely gain some weight.

Yes - I know 8 lbs isn't a lot, but it won't budge. I'm trying to stay around 1200-1350 calories a day and I'm lifting weights and starting to do some cardio. I'm hoping things will level off in a few weeks and the trend will go downward!
  • z4oslo
    z4oslo Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking and started running in September last year. Strange combination perhaps, but running for miles and miles without beeing tired is alot better feeling than having a cigarette after dinner.

Oh and ive lost 26 kg, and about 16 of them after smoking my last cigarette.

You can do it.