How to get enough calories when long distance running?

Options
I have recently started running for distance (usually 4-6 miles, between one hour and 45 min.) several days a week. I typically tend to eat no more than 6 or 700 calories before I go to the gym. My issue is I've noticed that one several occasions I've burned more calories running than I've eaten in the whole day. And because I don't like to have a large dinner, I have a significant caloric deficit on many days, even if I've consumed a healthy amount of protein and Calcium. How can I make sure to eat enough food to be sustainable on days that I run for distance?
Sorry for the long question! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Eat more. If you train, you need to eat.

This. This is honestly not a problem I've ever had. If I run longer, I eat more. After 12 or 13 miles, I have a burger and fries for lunch, or pizza for dinner.
  • slowbubblecar
    slowbubblecar Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    How many calories do you estimate you burn in a 4-6 mile run? How many calories are you eating in a day?

That distance shouldn't equate to more than you eat in a day if you are eating more than your breakfast. I'm guessing your calorie estimates are high for running.

• VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    If running 4-6 miles is burning more calories than you're eating in a day, I feel like either your calorie goal is way too low or there is something else going on that I don't understand. We're probably different weights so that will cause a difference, but my 6 mile run yesterday burned 413 calories (according to my Fitbit, which I know is reliable for me).

If you train, you do need to eat more. But you may want to double-check your calorie burn estimates before you increase your calories significantly.

This is something I hadn't thought of when I responded. A six mile run burns about 472 calories for me. I use this formula to calculate: weight in pounds X .63 X miles run.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    If running 4-6 miles is burning more calories than you're eating in a day, I feel like either your calorie goal is way too low or there is something else going on that I don't understand. We're probably different weights so that will cause a difference, but my 6 mile run yesterday burned 413 calories (according to my Fitbit, which I know is reliable for me).

If you train, you do need to eat more. But you may want to double-check your calorie burn estimates before you increase your calories significantly.

That's similar to my finding. Running just doesn't burn a whole lot of calories for me. Over 4mph speed for 1 hr only gives me around 500 calories burned.

Before running I like to drink half a bottle of gatorade for sugar and electrolyte. It's not the running that I count on for creating a deficit. Running a just very good kick start to get active for the rest of the day.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Perhaps double check your calorie burn. As stated above, the calorie burn for 4-6 miles would be approximately 400-600 calories. Running typically burns an estimated 100 calories per mile. It varies a little, depending on weight and height, but not by much. It sounds like you're overestimating your calorie burn for your runs.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    As others have said, eat more. When may vary person to person. Sometimes I have little appetite on the day of a run, but I'm starving the next.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Eat more, and eat more calorie dense foods like peanut butter.

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    PaytraB wrote: »
    Perhaps double check your calorie burn. As stated above, the calorie burn for 4-6 miles would be approximately 400-600 calories. Running typically burns an estimated 100 calories per mile. It varies a little, depending on weight and height, but not by much. It sounds like you're overestimating your calorie burn for your runs.

Agree. 100 to maybe 150 calories (for a very large person) per mile run.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Five miles for me is about 420 calories. So, one Lenny & Larry cookie or a Quest bar & Apple.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Eat more. If you train, you need to eat. Underfeeding will ultimately result in recovery issues, performance issues, and will hamstring your fitness development. If you're burning more than you're taking in, you're providing your body with zero energy to perform daily functions, not to mention mere existence. Burning off as much or more than you consume is the same thing as eating nothing.

Adding to my post to emphasize what others are saying in regards to your calorie burns...I'm a 190 Lb male...I'll burn in the neighborhood of 600 calories on a five mile run...I would imagine as a female that you would burn less...if you're eating that little, you're eating too little in general...like by a lot.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    How much do you think you burn on your 4-6 mile runs?
  • rachelpeers
    rachelpeers Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I would say usually I burn between 5 and 600 calories. For example, yesterday I ran 6.25 miles in 55 minutes. According to my technology that equivilates to 650 calories, which I suppose could be a slightly high estimate. I don't think I was clear enough in my first explanation. What I meant to say was sometimes if I workout at, say, 2 o'clock after lunch, up to that point in the day I've only consumed about 6-700 calories. So if I burn 600 running that's nearly all that I've eaten so far. I would just like some recommendations for foods that I can eat throughout the day up to that point. Preferably low in sugar.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    You can eat your meals, snacks as you normally would but factor in larger portions and/or more calorie dense foods when you know you need the higher nutritional content.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Before running I like to drink half a bottle of gatorade for sugar and electrolyte.

Have you tried something like Nuun tabs? They're another kind of electrolyte replacement for athletes. Much like gatoraid, but better ingredients and only about 5 calories.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I would say usually I burn between 5 and 600 calories. For example, yesterday I ran 6.25 miles in 55 minutes. According to my technology that equivilates to 650 calories, which I suppose could be a slightly high estimate. I don't think I was clear enough in my first explanation. What I meant to say was sometimes if I workout at, say, 2 o'clock after lunch, up to that point in the day I've only consumed about 6-700 calories. So if I burn 600 running that's nearly all that I've eaten so far. I would just like some recommendations for foods that I can eat throughout the day up to that point. Preferably low in sugar.

That's not really a big deal...net calories for the day are what is important.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

You can really eat whatever you want to. Just eat larger servings of what you are already eating if you want. It really depends what type of diet you like to eat.

Do you have a medical reason to avoid sugar? Because possibly the best reason to eat sugar is to fuel a workout!
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Before running I like to drink half a bottle of gatorade for sugar and electrolyte.

Have you tried something like Nuun tabs? They're another kind of electrolyte replacement for athletes. Much like gatoraid, but better ingredients and only about 5 calories.

Thanks. I'm gonna look it up. I like trying new things.
  • slowbubblecar
    slowbubblecar Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    It isn't a big deal when you eat the calories as long as you feel ok and don't notice any side affects.

I have done an hour of cardio in the morning without eating many times, and actually prefer to do it if I can.