WTH is going on?

Options
Ok so I'm 5'3" 130lb & no idea what BF% at all. I workout 7 days a week & basically exercise all day. I do a dedicated workout of 90 mins cardio a day & then spend about 11 hours walking non-stop (have to with my back injury or I get into pain) I don't sit for more than a few mins a day cause of my back...10mins at the most per day. I'm eating 1400 daily (plus eating most of what I burn off back....so close to another 1500)

Here is the problem......

I'm a size 12...can fit a size 10 easy but 12 is better (aussie size) I'm losing size, but not weight. I'm not gaining muscle but losing fat. I'm remaining still on the scale but I can get into smaller & smaller clothing no problem... even the size 10 are starting to become a little big.

How can I not be losing weight, not gain muscle... lose some fat & still not weigh less? Can tell I'm losing fat cause it's finally going from my stomach area & it is shrinking & toning up great...but still the scale says NO.

I'm losing size, not gaining anything and not losing weight or gaining any for that matter.

If I was losing fat & replacing with muscle then I could understand the no weight change. But eating lower means I wont get that.

Sorry if I'm speaking double here... it's just got me all baffled.

Replies

• soysauce6626
    soysauce6626 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Possible water retention. Are you consistent with you sodium and water intake?
  • godsgrl33
    godsgrl33 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    You probably are "gaining" muscle, because of the cardio and walking you do. Doing cardio is still using your muscles, hence toning them up. People want to talk so much about lifting, and that this is how you gain muscle. Not necessarily true. Because if you are doing the elliptical, for instance, you are working those leg muscles, and making them stronger. You are probably losing fat while gaining enough muscle for the scale to say the same, but you are getting a better body shape. Keep up the good work. It sounds like you are on the right track, and don't get discouraged.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Yep & never have a problem with my water at all. Never have even when I was fat.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    Options
    You probably are "gaining" muscle, because of the cardio and walking you do. Doing cardio is still using your muscles, hence toning them up. People want to talk so much about lifting, and that this is how you gain muscle. Not necessarily true. Because if you are doing the elliptical, for instance, you are working those leg muscles, and making them stronger. You are probably losing fat while gaining enough muscle for the scale to say the same, but you are getting a better body shape. Keep up the good work. It sounds like you are on the right track, and don't get discouraged.

I'm not using an elliptical at all (cant it hurt me & feels un-natural) so I do walk at home, run outside, zumba, ride my bike (set up as a stationary bike) & then still just walk all day normally.

But I was always told on here that eating a deficit means you wont gain muscle at all & in fact you will lose it doing nothing but cardio. That would mean I'd be losing size like I am...but the scale is exactly the same.

I have no plans on ever lifting, cant with my back anyway. And I love my cardio. :)
  • sexymuffintop
    Options
    Muscle is gained from strength training, calorie surplus and high protein diet, it doesn't happen by accident or from cardio. Especially without testosterone levels like a man.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    Options
    Muscle is gained from strength training, calorie surplus and high protein diet, it doesn't happen by accident or from cardio. Especially without testosterone levels like a man.

Yep see & none of those apply to me. So why the hell am I losing size but not weight?
  • LilMissDB
    LilMissDB Posts: 133
    Options

Actually, of course you can gain muscle from cardio! You can gain muscle through any use of muscle. You don't think you use muscles when you do cardio? Of course, strength training is more efficient at building muscle. You can also gain muscle when in calorie deficit if you have excess fat - this is because the excess fat creates the calorie surplus you need. You also don't need a high protein diet, you only need a diet adequate in protein. To the OP, not sure what exactly is going on but if you are losing size, I wouldn't be too worried about it :)
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    that statement is Just so wrong and full of so many myths
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

you don't gain muscle with cardio. by DEFINITION. it's called cardio for a reason.
  • mimieon
    mimieon Posts: 182 Member
    Options

Actually, of course you can gain muscle from cardio! You can gain muscle through any use of muscle. You don't think you use muscles when you do cardio? Of course, strength training is more efficient at building muscle. You can also gain muscle when in calorie deficit if you have excess fat - this is because the excess fat creates the calorie surplus you need. You also don't need a high protein diet, you only need a diet adequate in protein. To the OP, not sure what exactly is going on but if you are losing size, I wouldn't be too worried about it :)

This^
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    Options

I am a little worried though cause I'm starting to look more like a stick every day. Even hubby has said he thinks it's gone far enough, but for some reason i cant figure out what's going on. I wanted a little meat on me...not much but enough that I'm more than bones
  • BrainyBurro
    Options

This^

Not This^

you can lose fat and BF% with cardio and that can make your existing muscle mass more apparent. you can improve your cardiovascular fitness with cardio. but you can't add muscle mass (unless you include your heart muscle).

if you could, there would be no such thing as skinny fat. there would be no need to strength train. none of the cardio bunnies who lost large amounts of LBM while doing nothing but cardio on a large deficit would exist.

i'm a bit surprised that a dietitian would claim otherwise.

at the beginning, you may get some very minor benefit when starting cardio because some types can also act as a bodyweight calisthenic, but that benefit ends pretty quickly.
  • east2west14
    east2west14 Posts: 161 Member
    Options

This^

Not This^

you can lose fat and BF% with cardio and that can make your existing muscle mass more apparent. you can improve your cardiovascular fitness with cardio. but you can't add muscle mass (unless you include your heart muscle).

if you could, there would be no such thing as skinny fat. there would be no need to strength train. none of the cardio bunnies who lost large amounts of LBM while doing nothing but cardio on a large deficit would exist.

at the beginning, you may get some very minor benefit when starting cardio because some types can also act as a bodyweight calisthenic, but that benefit ends pretty quickly.

I am not sure what the true answer to the question is but have you seen the leg muscles on the soccer players? They are called muscles right?
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    Options

This^

Not This^

At the start yes you would get that...noob muscle. But I'm far from being new at it. It's been about a year an a half so far.
  • east2west14
    Options
    Try giving yourself a break. Give your body time to recover for 3 or more days.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

To gain muscle you need to progressively overload them. You *may* gain a very small amount at the very first, but unless you are doing something like hills sprints, you will not be gaining any appreciable muscle, especially with steady state cardio.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

This^

Not This^

I am not sure what the true answer to the question is but have you seen the leg muscles on the soccer players? They are called muscles right?

And none do any strength training!
  • BrainyBurro
    Options

This^

Not This^

they didn't build those leg muscles with cardio (aerobic) exercise. they built them with anaerobic exercise. by definition, cardio doesn't build muscle mass. anaerobic exercise does. that can be strength training or even certain types of high effort, short duration exercises such as repeated sprints. if you look at Olympic sprinters, they have large leg muscles, but i'm sure they also augment their sprinting with strength training because it gives them overall better results.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
  • east2west14
    Options

This^

Not This^

they didn't build those leg muscles with cardio (aerobic) exercise. they built them with anaerobic exercise. by definition, cardio doesn't build muscle mass. anaerobic exercise does. that can be strength training or even certain types of high effort, short duration exercises such as repeated sprints. if you look at Olympic sprinters, they have large leg muscles, but i'm sure they also augment their sprinting with strength training because it gives them overall better results.

Sprint is a type of cardio.
This discussion has been closed.