Getting derailed by illness

Options
I have a sinus infection -- I'm exhausted, my body aches, and I can taste the post-nasal drip seeping down the back of my throat (sorry, gross.) I'm so frustrated and annoyed. I can't work out and because of the congestion, I crave salty potato chips, salty chicken soup, and sweet ginger ale (water tastes disgusting when you're sick!)

How do you stay on track when you're sick?

Replies

• NoMoreCakey
    NoMoreCakey Posts: 8 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Hi! I can't offer the most amazing advice, but if you're craving salty chips, try eating goldfish! A serving is one cup (50ish pieces) for 140 calories, compared to potato chips where you typically can only have about 15-17 chips for about 150 Cals. They satisfy my salty craving every single time, and if you put an entire cup into a small/medium bowl it feels like you're eating even more.

Hope that helps!
  • DanielleTake2
    DanielleTake2 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thanks for responding! I love goldfish :-)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    illness is temporary...I just focus on feeling better...losing a handful of days isn't a big deal.
  • yogagirlT
    yogagirlT Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I had a bad sinus infection over Thanksgiving and got sick with a stomach virus over Christmas. Try to stay as hydrated as possible. Sodium isn't the best idea when you are sick because it will dehydrate you. If you crave salty, stick with the chicken broth/soup since it is liquid and will hydrate you and steamy soup tastes really good when congested. But don't be too hard on yourself. My body got thrown out of wack but I didn't have much of an appetite because I was too congested--I only wanted tea with lemon and honey and soup. Instead of ginger ale, maybe try some herbal tea with honey for sweetness or flavored sparkling water? Just some ideas and hope you feel better.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    When I'm sick, getting well is my top priority. In the big picture of weight loss, losing a week or two to illness is a drop in the bucket.
  • DanielleTake2
    DanielleTake2 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all. Really appreciate your support
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I'm sick do am taking a few days off til I feel better. No big deal, even though it comes on the heels of a 5 day trip which also interfered with my normal routine. Life happens and fitness & Weight management will continue.