Plyometrics and sore feet?!

Options
So I did a different YouTube routine the day before yesterday which involved some plyometric moves (jump exercise e.g. Squat and jump 180, and squat and jump 180 back to face forward again - hope that makes sense)

Anyway! My feet are prettyyyy sore.
So this must be from the impact right? And that I'm not used to doing these sort of exercises.
So I'm holding off for now but my question is, how DO I become ready for these type of exercises. Is it my leg muscles I need to strengthen or do I need to lose a bit more weight to reduce the impact or both?
And now would I go about doing the leg exercises!

Sorry for the long post!

Replies

• Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,073 Member
    Options
    Sorry meant to say what's the best way to strengthen my legs
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    This isn't quite going to answer your question(s), but hopefully you'll get some benefit out of this.

I don't know what routine you did, but P90X Plyometrics has modifications. Essentially, you either don't jump as high as normal, or you don't actually jump, but forcefully push off but stay on your toes. If you're having issues with Plyometrics, maybe one of these mods will help. In time, maybe you'll be ready for the full versions.

You can probably find the workout on youtube - if nothing else, you can see exactly what the modifications are for each move.
  • Bex953172
    Options
    Ahh thank you!
    I tend to workout at home in barefoot too, don't know if that made it worse, most likely!!

The video I did was a Bipashu Basu one on YouTube called unleash or something like that 30 min cardio workout.

I'll have a look and see what the mods are!
  • Sedu1906
    Sedu1906 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    No shoes will definitely make high impact plyometrics painful. It's not the jumping but how you land that matters. Get a good pair of criss training shoes and land softly...it will make a world of difference.
  • ISO905
    ISO905 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I agree on the good shoes helping but really, the type of plyometrics you describe is quite advanced especially if plyo is new to you. It's best to work your way UP to what you saw on the video. For example you can do squat jumps with stabilization. This is a squat jump and hold the landing for 3-5 seconds. Or box jumpdowns with a 3-5 second hold on the landing. Far too often people take up exercise routines that the body just isn't quite ready for yet. Start slowly Bex and you'll be doing squat jump 180's pain free in no time :smiley:
  • jmattmacd79
    jmattmacd79 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Dont do it barefoot, get a hard foam roller and work your calves (loads of videos on youtube). Dont get an amazing super expensive roller, a £10 thing will do.
  • Bex953172
    Options
    Thanks guys haha
    As if I was doing the advanced version :D no wonder I felt like my feet were broken haha

I did a completely different routine yesterday which had more light plyos but forgot to put my shoes on (so unnatural for me to wear shoes in the house) so gonna try again today and see how I do with the shoes :)

Ill look into that roller, I'm sure I've seen on in Tesco for around that price!