1000 calories a day, and hitting the gym everyday.

Options
So today is my day 4 , of 1000 calories a day (meal planning) and going to the gym everyday brisk walking for 3 miles with incline.. I want to work my way up to 5-6 miles a day. Has anyone done anything similar? And what were your results?

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Your calorie goal seems oddly low. Why did you arrive at that number?

Unless you're fairly short, you should be able to eat at least 1200-1500 daily and still lose wieght.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Eating only 1000 calories and exercising...you are netting way too low to sustain this.
    How did you calculate this calorie goal?

You must be starving by now....
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    No. No no no no no. No.

Sorry to be so blunt. But no.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Estimating 50 calories a mile (which is probably low) that gives you 1000 - 150 = 850 net calories a day.

Do you think that is healthy?

850 calories a day would be a VLCD (very low calorie diet). Research VLCDs and decide if you think that is healthy. For me it would not be even though I am old. I might get by with that for a day here and there but I would soon lose all energy that I have.

Research...
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    No, I lost weight eating 1700 per day. It is recommended that women eat a minimum of 1200 + half your exercise calories.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    No. No no no no no. No.

Sorry to be so blunt. But no.

This.

OP, unless you are 4.5' tall and over 50, 1000 is far, far, FAR too low.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I did something similar. It resulted in me eventually bingeing and gaining back what I had lost (47 pounds).

I suggest upping your net calories to something more sustainable. Please don't try to get a quick fix, they almost never work and only lead to an unhealthy cycle of dieting. Do what is sustainable, even if it means the weight loss happens a little slower.
  • thielke2015
    thielke2015 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Unhealthy, you will just gain it all back because it is not sustainable
  • LenGray
    LenGray Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    You won't get good results with your calorie allotment being that low. Exercise uses energy and food provides that energy. If you want to walk more, build muscle, and lose fat, you need to eat enough to fuel your workouts-- especially if you're wanting to add any sort of intensity later on, such as turning your walk into a jog or a run. As it is now, you're on your way to an injury.

Log your information into MFP, including your exercise frequency. Choose an activity level that's right for you-- that's your general activity outside of working out-- and your desired deficit. If you have 50 lbs or less to lose, a .5 lb or 1 lb a week is more than enough. If you have 75 or more, consider choosing a more aggressive deficit of 1.5 or 2 lbs a week. Listen to your body and adjust your calorie goal based on how you feel and/or what calorie amount you're naturally hitting within your deficit.

Once you're in a reasonable deficit, you should find your fitness goals progressing much faster. You also won't be ravenously hungry, cranky, dizzy, or tired-- which I'm betting you are, by now.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    You won't find many who do something similar. Your allowance is far too low to be healthy or sustainable for anyone. In fact it's too low even for a shorter older person (who can often pull off lower calories) if you aren't eating your exercise back.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    So today is my day 4 , of 1000 calories a day (meal planning) and going to the gym everyday brisk walking for 3 miles with incline.. I want to work my way up to 5-6 miles a day. Has anyone done anything similar? And what were your results?

I'd imagine passing out.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Goodness. How do you have the energy to exercise?! I hope your logging is off or you're very very small and/or elderly.
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    1000 calories a day is what a 2 year old needs. For reference, my 2 year old is about 27 lbs. Approximately 1000 calories feeds all 27 lbs of him. Which 27 lbs of you would you like to feed?
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it won't last long. Your workouts will begin to suffer and then you'll start feeling lethargic and weak. You should reconsider your calorie goal and begin fueling your workouts as well.
This discussion has been closed.