Booze

Options
Hello! I am pretty new at this and in fact I think this is my first post. I am trying to lose 65 lbs and am finding MFP to be a very easy to use and rewarding way to do it. So far I have lost 10 lbs since the new year so obviously it's working.

I have cut my alcohol consumption in half, which is saying a lot as it was pretty bad for a while. Now I am finding when I drink on the weekend it only takes 2 or 3 to feel anything which is fantastic. HOWEVER, I was wondering if any of the more seasoned MFPers have any insight to what is the best/calorie friendly alcoholic beverage is. I almost always drink at home only and usually go for beer or cabernet. After I drink either, however, I feel bloated and the next day I feel like I way overindulged and often pay for it Monday morning when I weigh in despite being well within my calorie range with my exercise.

Can anyone help me with this sort of petty issue? Many thanks.

Replies

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    For me, it's mostly red wine. But other options are scotch on the rocks, Coke Zero and Crown Royal, Gin & diet tonic and Guinness (which is fairly low in calories). It's the mix that usually kills. I was surprised that there is ~100 cals in a can of regular tonic water.

I definitely can't drink as much as I could 65 lbs ago, so I tend to go for better quality. I don't get the bloated feeling you are talking about though. It all gets logged in MFP.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    This is one I'm going to chock up to personal preference. I'm a beer and whiskey lover and continually struggle between two apps - Untappd and MFP. I'm a homebrewer and always on the hunt for new and interesting craft ales and whiskeys. If I'm out and don't want the fullness of a beer, but want something lighter I go for a bourbon, whiskey, or scotch.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Calorie wise, it's going to be straight booze or booze mixed with no calorie diet mixers. That said, life is too short to not drink what you like.