Need ideas for rice

Options
kimmaltsev
kimmaltsev Posts: 57 Member
Looking for ideas to use plain rice in a meal. To make a picky person who don't like rice to much.

Replies

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Do you not like rice? You don't have to eat it if you don't like it.

I do like rice and have it probably 1-2 times a week. I buy Lundberg brand rice--usually basmati or jasmine-- and cook it in a rice cooker (which is basically steamed). That's all. Easy peasy.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    ... why? It's not like it's something that's particularly nutritious compared to, let's say, veggies. Heck most people here typically try to replace it...

But I'd put it in stuffed peppers or Mexican casseroles or something, I guess.
  • lyssasm
    lyssasm Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Stuffed bell peppers, beef and broccoli over rice, teriyaki chicken and sweet peppers over rice, lemon pepper spinach chicken over rice. You basically can put ANYTHING over rice, and you'll barely notice it. Eating it plain on its own is just bleh.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Red beans and Rice?

Topped with Kung Pao?

I use it for all my Asian dishes as a base.

I also sometimes put it in chili.

I make taco stuffed zucchini boats served over rice.

Chicken curry over rice.

I have rice at least twice a week.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Try using yellow rice. Same thing as plain rice but with spices added. Not any "healthier" but has great flavor. Yellow rice is great in a chicken and rice dish.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Chicken and yellow rice.
    - 1.25 pounds chicken breast cutlets (cut into cubes)
    - 2 tbsp safflower oil (or whatever oil u want to use)
    - 10 oz bag yellow rice
    - 4 oz sour cream
    - 1 cup (4oz) grated cheddar
    - Salt and pepper to taste

- bake chicken in oven with oil and salt and pepper
    - Boil yellow rice
    - Pour cooked rice in dish, and while still hot, mix in the cheddar
    - Then mix in sour cream and chicken (once chicken is cooked)

Makes 6 decent sized servings 350-400 calories per serving (depending on if u use full fat or reduced fat dairy products)
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I love rice. Here are some of my favorite dishes that contain rice. I'll let you use some google-fu for recipes, if you like the idea(s):

Salsa chicken
    Stuffed peppers
    Salisbury steak
    Burritos
    Fried rice
    Drunken rice

I have the nagging feeling I'm forgetting something, but there's a handful.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    OP...if you don't like rice why are you trying to eat it? I think trying new things is great but in the end don't force yourself to eat something that you don't like.

Also it could be the way that you are cooking rice. Nothing worse than mushy rice except for undercooked rice.
  • Rachael_789
    Rachael_789 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Have cauliflower rice?
    Chuck some cauliflower in a food processor to blitz it up, pop it in the oven with a little oil mixed throu or chuck it in the micro.
  • kimmaltsev
    kimmaltsev Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    It's not that I don't like it I do but just not that crazy over it and was just looking for some ideas that I could use to change it up a bit.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,375 Member
    Options
    I love jazmin rice, all rice isn't the same. I love it with a little butter on it, cheese, also sauce from anything else I make with it, also fried rice. One of my sons lost 120 lbs eating stir fried rice almost every day. He did put it on paper towels to drain extra fat
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Rice pudding... one of the under-appreciated dishes in life. I prefer mine without raisins.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    There are lots of varieties of rice. Brown rice, black rice, red rice, jasmine rice, basmati...

All of them taste very different. If you want something new, check your grocery store to see what other types they carry. There's more out there than just plain white rice.
  • ashleylethy
    ashleylethy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Mexican rice:

I cup of white rice/brown rice the one u like better
    1 1/2 of tomatoe cubes
    I cup of water
    And if u like just put a 1/4 of can of mix vegetables.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Vermicelli.

Bake it in the oven.

I am loving Jasmine rice these days. It clumps making it easier to pick up with chopsticks.

Add a tablespoon of wild rice.

Add a bouillon cube to the cooking water.

Pre boil the water with a Lucky Iron Fish

Serve it with an authentic curry.
  • marciab12
    marciab12 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use cauliflower "rice" to limit carbs
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Saute red onions in coconut oil while rice is cooking. Add rice and black beans. Add tapitio - yum!

• thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I made a burrito for dinner tonight. I had some brown rice left over from last night's dinner so I threw some salsa in with it, heated in the microwave and voila, spanish rice. It was pretty darn good, considering it took all of 30 seconds to make.