Substitute for Coffee Creamer?

Options
I've tried using Splenda or stevia with half n half but I hate it! Coffee is my little escape in the morning and I would hate to give it up, but creamer has so many calories.
Any unconventional suggestions?

Replies

• sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    If you really enjoy it - just use the creamer.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    hot chocolate mix
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    vanilla almond milk
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Almond or other nut milk - unsweetened vanilla almond milk is my favorite

I also use sugar free torani syrups for extra flavor
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    How much creamer do you use? Most of the ones I use are around 40-60 cals per TBL. Maybe just try using less until you find a sweet spot where you can budget the calories and still enjoy your coffee?

You could also try unsweetened vanilla almond or soy milk, a touch of sweetness and flavoring with less calories than creamer.

If you are using a lot of creamer, try cutting back little by little each week to get your taste buds used to it.
  • pudgy1977
    pudgy1977 Posts: 13,499 Member
    Options
    @KiddMoney29 - I seem to remember that you had a good creamer substitute that you use??
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Nobody messes with my coffee in the morning and lives to tell the tale. Or if you live you'll wish you hadn't. ;)

My compromise? I only have the one cup (instead of two or three) and I substituted one teaspoon of sugar with Stevia. I went from using half-and-half to light cream. Did it gradually, and I don't miss the extra calories one bit.

Went to a friend's house a while back and she made me a coffee the regular way. It was so sweet and 'thick' I didn't even like it. :)

tl;dr: Decide what's important to you and make it work. :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Buy really good quality coffee and drink it black.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I weaned myself off creamer and sugar completely and now drink my coffee black. It took me about a week or so to get used to it black. I can't stand it with anything in it anymore except for the occasional latte or cappuccino, which tastes nothing like coffee anyway...I consider it a hot liquid dessert. ha ha
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I sometimes put a half a scoop of chocolate whey protein powder in my coffee. I have to dissolve it in a bit of luke warm water first and then add the coffee or it will clump in the hot water. That said, I usually drink my coffee black, so I am not sure if this will provide you with the amount of flavor you are looking for. I mostly do it for the added protein, but it does taste nice.
  • sandrairenek
    sandrairenek Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I personally use Splenda and Silk soy creamer. After using soy for so long I can't stand the taste of regular half & half. I think 2 tbsp has 40 cals? Not so bad in the grand scheme of things.
  • Dee_D33
    Dee_D33 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Coffee creamer doesn't typically have a lot of calories, but if you're more worried about it being healthy than the amount of calories, there are tons of options. Almond or coconut milk, honey, etc. There's also a product called Leaner Creamer that (supposedly) promotes weight loss with its ingredients. I'm not sure I'd get it based on those claims but it does seem to be a healthier alternative. I grew out of using creamer and now I just drink my coffee black. Sometimes I'll brew some flavored coffee if I'm feeling it.
  • raisingchelle
    raisingchelle Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee instead of eating breakfast so instead of creamer I add Carnation instant breakfast powder for a little sweetness, vitamins, and flavor.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I have to have half n half so I make room for half n half every day. That's just the cost of doing business, IMO.
  • active562
    active562 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I just put some hot chocolate powder
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    The creamer (half-half) I use is only 15 cals per TBS, and sugar is 16 cals per tsp.....
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Baileys

:)

I drink mine black except on the weekend when it might get stuff added if I'm staying home.
  • powered85
    powered85 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Buy really good quality coffee and drink it black.

x2. You could also try 3.85% milk. Doesn't have any other additives and tasty. Surprising how many ingredients are in some coffee creamers.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Protein powder!
  • EricaCraigie
    EricaCraigie Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Walden farms makes zero calorie coffee creamers and flavors that can be purchased online :)
    They have a website