planet fitness or golds gym

Options

Replies

• cmfaris8
    cmfaris8 Posts: 39
    Options
    I travel between cities so PF works for me. I've been to locations in Boston, NYC, and Chicago and all of them have more than enough equipment to accommodate the after work crowd (the time I usually go). Not sure if you live in a city, but sites like Groupon, Lifebooker, and Living Social are great resources to find discounted classes in your area. They usually have boot camp style classes that will kick your butt for less than Gold's monthly price which would be a nice edition to the $10 month-to-month PF price. Plus its a great way to meet people who will motivate you in your area.
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    My advice is always to pick the gym you'll actually go to.

I joined a gym that had an extensive exercise class list, a pool, and a great program for my kids. No contract. It was more expensive and further away than the gym across the street, but I wanted the "perks."

I went to that gym MAYBE once a month for 2 years. It was too easy to make excuses. Never used that pool, rarely took a class, kids spent very little time in that program.

I bit the bullet in May and went to the Golds Gym across the street. No pool, not many class choices, and I did have to sign a contract, but I'm there almost every single day. I was a little intimidated at first (the clientele is a bit different than my old community gym) but now I love it. And it's cheaper ($30/month vs the $75 I was paying) . And they have more equipment on the free weight/cable side of things.
    So money isn't everything :)
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    honestly, there is no way we can answer this for you. we may be familiar with both franchises, but the actual gyms vary so much that nothing we say will have any validity. both gyms will likely give a you a free 3-7 day trial. here's my handy guide for deciding on your local gym

figure out what time of day you'll be working out.
    visit the gym during that time
    check for general cleanliness, especially locker rooms/showers, if you'll be changing there
    check to see if it's too crowded for your taste.
    if you're going to take classes, find out the sign up policy. sometimes you can do it online, sometimes you have to get there 45 mins early to get a spot.
    check to see if it's convenient to get to from your work or home or wherever you'll be coming from. parking matters
    flip a coin

I would also add to make sure they have the amenities and type of fitness equipment you want. I am getting ready to switch gyms because of this reason. The new one is adding in a crossfit area, which I am interested in doing at some point.
  • justicer68
    justicer68 Posts: 1,223
    Options
    I recently joined PF and cancelled my membership at my current gym mainly for the fact I only have to travel 5 minutes vs. 20-25 minutes getting there. Also by the time I finished weight training there was rarely any cardio equipment free. It looks like there are only a couple of things that this one doesn't have compared to my old gym and i am saving money. It was a good move for me I am hoping. The max dumbbell weight they have is 60# and if i lift more than that in each hand i will be amazed. They dont have bench presses presses or a squat rack but they do have 5-6 smith machines..not my preference but it'll work in a pinch. And as for the pizza and junk. I just wont eat it and luckily im not a huge fan of any of them. Dont agree with them offering it though.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    honestly, there is no way we can answer this for you. we may be familiar with both franchises, but the actual gyms vary so much that nothing we say will have any validity. both gyms will likely give a you a free 3-7 day trial. here's my handy guide for deciding on your local gym

figure out what time of day you'll be working out.
    visit the gym during that time
    check for general cleanliness, especially locker rooms/showers, if you'll be changing there
    check to see if it's too crowded for your taste.
    if you're going to take classes, find out the sign up policy. sometimes you can do it online, sometimes you have to get there 45 mins early to get a spot.
    check to see if it's convenient to get to from your work or home or wherever you'll be coming from. parking matters
    flip a coin

I would also add to make sure they have the amenities and type of fitness equipment you want. I am getting ready to switch gyms because of this reason. The new one is adding in a crossfit area, which I am interested in doing at some point.

I found a box in my area but it's $120-$145/month depending on if you choose a 1 year or month to month deal.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I think whierd means that his normal gym is adding a large functional fitness area, not that it's turning into a crossfit box.
  • JumpingDog
    JumpingDog Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness, for me, was full of broken/ worn out machines, and people who have no gym etiquette. The staff seem friendly and the place is clean enough but not sparkling. I had a problem with my membership in that I did a month to month plan for over a year, when I cancelled, they charged me a $30 maintenance fee for the next year. They claimed that had I cancelled some two days earlier, I would not have had to pay that fee. They refused to reduce my bill or refund me and I ended up paying $30 just to quit. For what it's worth, I have never heard the "lunk alarm".

Gold's Gym has a lot more to offer in services and their machinery seems in better condition. However, the staff were very rude to me. I was toured around the gym but then "sized up" and walked around in circles by a cocky male who told me that the gym across the street (Planet Fitness) was a better choice for "people like me" and that I couldn't afford Gold's Gym. I'm not normally easy to offend and the other staff members even looked appalled but no one said anything. The people using Gold's Gym looked like rippling slabs of muscle but pretty much ignored me. I thought the atmosphere was serious but great but my experience with the staff was intolerable.

I go to my university's gym now that I don't pay extra for. During the summer though, I'm just out of luck.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about Planet Fitness. but I do go to Gold's. I've never had any complaints with them. The daycare is always clean and my son enjoys going there. I go in the mornings so I've never had to wait for any equipment, and i really like the classes they offer. But like a previous poster said, each gym is going to vary by location, so the helpfulness of my input is dubious, as is anyone else's who hasn't been to the actual gym locations you're thinking of.
  • DefyGravity810
    DefyGravity810 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I traded my old gym for PF because I couldn't afford the other anymore. I don't love it simply because I miss classes but you can't beat the price and for the money I saved I bought good DVD sets like Jillian Michaels and Zumba Exhilerate for when I need something different. My gym was brand new and literally just opened when I joined it. It's always very clean with plenty of equipment and the trainer is actually a trainer. I love the 30 minute express workout though I admit not everyone follows the rules and some people come in and use those weight machines and that's it and mess it up for everyone when it's clear there are people following the circuit. I like the arc trainers too they're fun (I like machines where I can go fast along with my fast music) and easier on knees than ellipticals. They have a lot of TVs and you can plug your ipod in to your machine or listen to the TV which is really nice for a cheap gym. They also have showers and a big clean locker room. I haven't explored the weights much because I haven't had the chance to do the one hour class where the trainer shows you every single machine, but I probably will at some point. They definitely have a lot and they have things like matts and free weights too. I agree the pizza and bagels are stupid but I just don't go when they have those. If I forget and did by mistake I don't think it'd be too bad to have one slice or work on my self-control and avoid it entirely. I also sort of disagree that it's a no-judgment zone because I'm pretty sure a lunk alarm counts as judging. But I do see people there of all shapes and sizes and all fitness levels and I do feel comfortable in that respect. All this being said, once I can afford a place with classes I intend to switch back because I really miss those. So I'd say if you're more of a beginner and want access to equipment at an affordable price go with PF. If you really like the group/ social environment of a class and price isn't as important go with something else. Though, PF doesn't have a contract so you could change your mind.
  • whierd
    Options
    I think whierd means that his normal gym is adding a large functional fitness area, not that it's turning into a crossfit box.

Yeah, the new gym that I am looking at is currently remodeling and adding what they are calling a "crossfit area". No additional charge to use it.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    My advice is always to pick the gym you'll actually go to.

I

Agreed.

I am fortunate to have many gyms available in my area. I have everything from PF to very, very nice gyms. I ended up joining a Snap fitness. Not because it was the cheapest or even the most convenient, but because I knew I'd actually GO there. After all, what's the point of joining a gym if you don't go?

I pay just a little more a month, but I have 24 hour access. They only have one squat rack, but it is very rarely in use...I've only had to wait for it a handful of times. It's never crowded at the times I go. The staff is very nice and helpful. These are all things that made me join this gym instead of looking at one that was cheaper or closer to my home.
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Gold's because of the classes. They make a big difference. They also have an area with weights and machines just for women and some people prefer it. They have different level memberships and there is one where you can bring someone everyday for free.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Gold's. Because it's the hardcore crowd (that's my experience at Gold's). I heard PF doesn't have certain equip and you can't grunt, breathe hard, or wear bandanas :noway:
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    And I don't know how a place can justify callilng itself "Planet Fitness" when they serve pizza, bagels, and tootsie rolls to their members.

They have the business model down perfect.
    [1] No heavy lifters to 'intimidate' the clients
    [2] Not the right equipment to lift heavy anyway
    [3] Free food!
    [4] Cheap

It's a plan with the goal of, like the Hotel California, ensure you'll never leave.
  • pecogirl65
    Options
    Hmmm. The Golds Gym website for Harrisburg (Linglestown) shows:
    Gym Hours
    Monday-Friday: 05:00AM-10:00PM
    Saturday: 07:00AM-07:00PM
    Sunday: 07:00AM-05:00PM
    :smile:
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Yeah, the new gym that I am looking at is currently remodeling and adding what they are calling a "crossfit area". No additional charge to use it.

Oh sweet! Lucky!!
  • whierd
    Options

Oh sweet! Lucky!!

And the trainer there offered me a membership for $150 for 15 months with the $150/year being locked in after that point. :D
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Thinking of joining a gym. Trying to decide between PF / Gold's.

PF has a good price and is open 24 hrs. I work crazy shifts, so that is attractive to me. With the low price, I can probably afford to add my son and we can work out together. I like all the machines they have and they also have the 30 minute workout (I used to belong to curves).

Gold's on the other hand, has classes all times of the day. I enjoy exercise classes that will push me (as opposed to working out on my own). They are open til 10pm during the week and 7pm during the weekend. Not sure on their price for me and my family to include.

Any thoughts? What should I ask when I go visit?

(From the Harrisburg, PA area)

I have been to both. At the PF $10/month you can only go to that gym so see if you can get a couple day trial to see if it works for your schedule times. If you find you will be working out regularly then consider paying for a year with Golds, it's about 1/2 the bi-weekly rate. I paid $300 + tax for a year. PF would be about $5 less a month than that at the $20 rate (Black Card, all gyms access). All gyms have Housekeeping issues and different crowds. I don't see a lot of the Hulk-a-monster stuff at Golds, & have been to 4 different ones here, the staffs are friendly and I see all fitness types. ( Oh and Ex PF members ;) )
    I like Golds because I can go to anyone of them (extra $ as noted at PF) and I have access to more Trainers, a Pool, Dry Sauna and Jacuzzi. On your initial visit a Trainer will get you setup on a workout schedule. Then you can check in with them each month at no charge to check your progress. They have many types of classes if you like that (Body Pump, Zumba, Yoga Fusion, etc...) and they are adopting some Cross-fit training regimens to stay competitive. Also have more Free Weights than PF.

So try PF for a couple of months if you can get in at just $10 no initiation BS fee. If they wont do that then go to Golds and pay the Bi-weekly for a month or two to see if you wan to invest in a year. Neither one has a contract it's just a matter of getting started. Bottom line it's what fits YOUR NEEDS. If you are just going to do cardio machines & some dumbbell work, then PF should be fine for you.

-Ask Golds what the deal is for you and your son. How much would it be if you paid for a year all at once. I don't think PF would have any, as it's already discounted.
    -If you like classes then Golds is the way to go. As mentioned they have a diverse set.
    -Golds has 24/7 at many facilities. So check the operation schedule closely.

:bigsmile: :flowerforyou:
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Oh sweet! Lucky!!

And the trainer there offered me a membership for $150 for 15 months with the $150/year being locked in after that point. :D

So a $150 for the whole year for the gym and crossfit...or 150/month with a 1 year contract?
  • whierd
    Options

Oh sweet! Lucky!!

So a $150 for the whole year for the gym and crossfit...or 150/month with a 1 year contract?

$150 is for the whole year.