Assistance lifts that increase flexibility/balance?

Options
I've been hunting for accessory and assistance exercises to do when I finish my big lift each time I'm at the gym (bench press, OH press, squats, deadlifts). I know I need to work on balance and flexibility as well as strength. I do some other workouts to help with that (yoga & snowboarding), but I want to find ways to incorporate flexibility and balance more in my accessory/assistance work.

Today, I added split squats in after my planned squats session. It was awesome - I'm terrible at them and I can feel them working me in all the ways I need.

Does anyone have any ideas for assistance/accessory work for deads, bench, and press days that might help develop flexibility and balance while I'm at the gym?

(If it matters, I'm doing Wendler's 5-3-1 Boring But Big set up, four days a week.)

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    One legged Romanian deadlifts
    One arm dumbbell bench press
    One arm dumbbell shoulder press

Dumbbell variations are very useful.
  • fitbethlin
    fitbethlin Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    One legged Romanian deadlifts are my NEMESIS. Although, after today, I think they are joining split squats. Is the plural nemeses? Nemesises? Nemesai? Apparently grammer is also my nemesis.

Thanks for the suggestions!!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    fitbethlin wrote: »
    One legged Romanian deadlifts are my NEMESIS. Although, after today, I think they are joining split squats. Is the plural nemeses? Nemesises? Nemesai? Apparently grammer is also my nemesis.

Thanks for the suggestions!!

Here is my split squat suggestion: if you are doing them with one leg elevated and having trouble, switch to both on the floor to start.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Bird dogs
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    which plane is your balance poor in? i tend to do mostly glute medius stuff with the theraband, and one-sided or weight-differential suitcase carries for obliques.

i also like band pulls and broomsticks to warm up my shoulders on bench/pressing days.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    fitbethlin wrote: »
    Apparently grammer is also my nemesis.

Spelling, too. B)

When you ace the split squats, evolve to walking lunges, and then to walking lunges while holding a weight in 1 hand only.

Your program seems to lack rotational core stability, so i'd add the cable punch, cable twists, boxing a heavy bag, etc.

For flexibility, static stretch whichever muscles give you problems several times a day. :+1:
  • fitbethlin
    fitbethlin Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I did the one-legged Romanian deadlift today. This is exactly what I need! I am not falling over, but I'm not far away from it. This is going to be a great challenge.