Advice for making jump from 5k to 10k??

Options
bketchum1981
bketchum1981 Posts: 130 Member
edited January 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
Okay, just tonight my son's girlfriend challenged me to a 10K. I've only done a few 5Ks but workout regularly. The winter weather in Michigan hampers running regularly outside.

Any experience out there on transitioning to and from treadmill? I feel I need to get back to running On treadmill regularly to be ready at end of April for 10K.

I realize signing up is the first step.

Let's hear it!!

Replies

• SydandPaigesMom
    SydandPaigesMom Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    My daughter and I did the couch to 5k and are working our way through the 10k runner app. I made it 10.5 k last Sunday and have been plagued with pneumonia since, but I'm eager to get back out and finish it
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    There is a couch to 10k plan. I just kept increasing my longer run by .25-.5 mile each week until I could do 6 or 7 miles on a regular weekly basis, with 2 shorter runs inbetween.
  • bketchum1981
    Options
    Good advice!!!

Keep it coming.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    There are a couple of programs like the Bridge to 10k or the One Hour Runner you might look at. Hal Higdon has plans as well for all distances, including 10k.

Are you doing any regular running now? Consistency is the most important part of building your endurance for longer races. When I am running on the TM, it feels faster to me than running outside, so I usually make most of my runs progressive, with a gradual warm up, then I will slowly increase the pace every 1/2 mile or mile. If it starts to feel hard, so I'm breathing harder, I back off. It helps me keep the pace easy. You want most of your running to be at a conversational pace.

When I was increasing my miles, I added a 4th day of running and ran 3-4 miles on 3 days a week and added 1/2 mile to one of the runs every week. I went from 5k to HM that way.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    C210k app
  • slowbubblecar
    slowbubblecar Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I would recommend increasing the grade on the treadmill to prepare for running outside. Running on the treadmill at 0 is almost like running slightly downhill due to the fact that it propels you on each step.

To get to the 10k though, like others have said, just run consistently and increase your mileage.
  • Dreamcrusher16
    Dreamcrusher16 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I also like the C25K program and there's a 10k one as well. When you run on a treadmill if you can raise the elevation to one or two to make it more like running outside. I'm originally from Detroit so I understand the weather. Treadmill workouts you have to run at a higher elevation and intensity than you do outside so that you don't lose ground when you get back to outside.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    I skipped the 10K and went from 5K to Half Marathon. My experience may be helpful, just read 10K where Half Marathon is mentioned. I picked a Half Marathon training plan and started it where my current training was. i.e. if I was already doing 15 miles a week with a 7 mile long run, I found the week on the training plan that corresponded therewith, started there and continued with the Half Marathon plan. This puts you on a workout schedule for your planned race and starts you where you already are. Worked for me. Good luck.

I plan on a few 10Ks this year.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Yes. I didn't like it. 5K is a good distance to run, 10K was too much. Even after working up to it. I just don't want to run that long.
  • poppysierra
    poppysierra Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I just ran my first ever 10K but didn't know it at the time! It ended up being 10.8K but was a circular route so I knew I had to get home and it was far too cold to walk. I'd been running consistently at about 8K for a few weeks despite the cold weather (good gear makes all the difference) and suddenly there I was. Needless to say I took the next day as a rest day but I will be doing it again. It's a big jump from 10K to an HM though ........
  • PaulaS1220
    PaulaS1220 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    A couple of months back, I completed the program on the 5k to 10k app from Active.com. I highly recommend it.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I hate to pay for things so i used the Hal Higdon training plans that are free. There are beginner, intermediate and advanced versions for just about any length race. I used these for 10Ks, 15K, Half marathon, and now my upcoming marathon.

Also, unless the roads are icy or have too much fresh snow that hasn't been cleared, you can run outdoors all year. There will be days you need to take it inside. However, you just need proper attire involving layers. I'd take -10 over a dreadmill any day!! Lol!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing the Hal Higdon training plan for the 15K. I've had great luck with his training plans, they're detailed enough to provide guidance, pretty flexible, have options for every type of runner, and are based on realistic amounts of running. And you can't beat the price.

• girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,263 Member
    Options
    I used 10K Runner too. Cheap app for my phone, and it builds you up in the same way that C25K does. Great goal! I have enjoyed being able to run 5 miles when I want to get out and run (I can't run often or for too long), and this distance gets me out of the 5K madness that so many events have.
  • JessM822
    JessM822 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Anything after a 5K is pretty much a mental game. If you really don't want to do it you won't. I've done 5K's all the way up to Marathons, and currently training for an Ironman in September. Having people there to cheer you on is a huge booster. It's your first one so have fun and don't worry about your time.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I'm also a fan of Hal Higdon training plans.

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51122/10K-Novice-Training-Program
  • bketchum1981
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the insight!! I'm still contemplating. I'd like to improve my 5k so this may be the next step in getting there.
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    i did c210k and started from week 9 because i had already completed c25k. great program and the transition from 5 to 10k was fairly easy.it's strange actually how much easier it gets as you increase the dinstance. i ran a 5k today as my "improving my time"day, and i have actually reduced my 5k time by 8 minutes since i finished c25k.now i'm thinking of slowly increasing my distance to 15k and stopping there.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    i did c210k and started from week 9 because i had already completed c25k. great program and the transition from 5 to 10k was fairly easy.it's strange actually how much easier it gets as you increase the dinstance. i ran a 5k today as my "improving my time"day, and i have actually reduced my 5k time by 8 minutes since i finished c25k.now i'm thinking of slowly increasing my distance to 15k and stopping there.

First, Congrats on shaving 2:58 per mile off your 5K time. Quite an accomplishment.
    Second, good luck on stopping at 15K. Once you get there the Half Marathon will beacon.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Have you been fitted for running shoes? If not, stop by your local running store and get fitted by a professional. I was fine training for my first 5k, but when I increased my mileage in shoes that weren't right for my body, I started getting injured.