What should be my calorie goal be? Confused.

I am always worried that I may be eating too less or too much to lose weight properly without health risks. So, I decided to find out my body fat %, my BMR, and TDEE. I measured my body (neck, waist, hip) but, I am not sure if I was accurate. Thus... not too sure about my body fat %. So, it's just an approximate.

My new goal weight is 110 (I am 5'3"). So, I would like to lose 54 pounds.

Should I remain at 1,200 calories as my goal? Or increase?

These were my results...
BMR: 1,591
TDEE (light activity): 1,823 (x20%) = 364.6
1,823 - 364.6 = 1,458

Replies

• iceqieen
    iceqieen Posts: 862 Member
    Hi

You have definately taken the right step in figuring out your BMR and TDEE! Bodyfat is usually not very accurate but its good to have that as an approximate.

Its not advicable to eat under your BMR for a long time, your body will get used to whatever you are consuming and if it sees that its not getting enough "for the basics" it will decrease your basic burn (when it starts you might feel more tired and nails/hair grows slower).

Since your BMR is almost 1600 I dont think 1200 is a good idea to be honest. The 1450 seems much more appropriate. Depending on what is included in the light activity, you should also eat back some (or all) of your exercise calories.

How much do you exercise?
    Do you use a HRM when you exercise?
    What is included in the TDEE light activity?

It will take patience, but you can get to where you want to be :flowerforyou:
  • I really don't buy the starvation mode idea. At least not for people who aren't already pretty lean. I really think that idea came from people reading articles about pro fitness athletes getting below 10% body fay for competitions.

I've been struggling with the same decision myself. What I settled on is to start at one calorie goal and hit it consistently for a month. Pay attention to changes in weight and body composition (look in the mirror) and adjust downward if necessary. The bottom line is that if you're not losing weight your not at enough of a calorie deficit.

Just track it and adjust as necessary.
  • :) Thank you! I think I will increase my calorie goal now.

I walk for 30 minutes once or twice a week, fast pace.

I don't know what that is. :P To be honest.

Well, TDEE is considered light activity or sport for 1-3 days a week.
  • I really don't buy the starvation mode idea. At least not for people who aren't already pretty lean. I really think that idea came from people reading articles about pro fitness athletes getting below 10% body fay for competitions.

I've been struggling with the same decision myself. What I settled on is to start at one calorie goal and hit it consistently for a month. Pay attention to changes in weight and body composition (look in the mirror) and adjust downward if necessary. The bottom line is that if you're not losing weight your not at enough of a calorie deficit.

Just track it and adjust as necessary.

Thanks for the advice. :)
  • iceqieen
    I really don't buy the starvation mode idea. At least not for people who aren't already pretty lean. I really think that idea came from people reading articles about pro fitness athletes getting below 10% body fay for competitions.

I am not going to get into a starvation vs not starvation mode argument, but if I just go by my own experience and the data I have gathered for myself the body definately gets used to conditions and adjusts.
  • iceqieen
    :) Thank you! I think I will increase my calorie goal now.

HRM = heart rate monitor. Good for getting estimates for how much you use in exercise.

It sounds like your calculations were good, so start with 1450-1600 per day, log every day, and then in a few weeks examine where you are at. Both in terms of weight and how you feel. If you increase your exercise intensity I would eat extra if it becomes something you do 1 or more times a week, if its occational extra activities you dont need to worry too much - have something extra if you are tired/hungry.
  • :) Thank you! I think I will increase my calorie goal now.

HRM = heart rate monitor. Good for getting estimates for how much you use in exercise.

It sounds like your calculations were good, so start with 1450-1600 per day, log every day, and then in a few weeks examine where you are at. Both in terms of weight and how you feel. If you increase your exercise intensity I would eat extra if it becomes something you do 1 or more times a week, if its occational extra activities you dont need to worry too much - have something extra if you are tired/hungry.

I will check that out. :) What are the best HRMs or will any work?

Alright. I will start off with 1450 for now. I cannot wait to see the results.
    Now, thinking about it... eating at 1,200 calories each day has made me more tired and some headaches.
    I do not exercise more often. That's for sure.
    Thank you again! ^______^
  • iceqieen

I will check that out. :) What are the best HRMs or will any work?

I have a polar FT4 (I think) and it works good but you can probably do a search for HRMs to see reviews, you can have stand alones or even use your smartphone with a strap.

You're welcome and best of luck. Feel free to poke if you got more questions :flowerforyou: