where?are you invisible too?

Options
2»

Replies

• FalloutAngel
    Options
    Yes!
    After gaining a bit of weight last summer I no longer get the attention I was used to.haha
  • ashfuse
    ashfuse Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I think it's a confidence thing. Even at my heaviest I was confident and so I have never been invisible. My heaviest was well over 200 pounds.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    Yeah, when I was thinner I used to be the one getting hit on out of all my friends. At bars and social events guys would always come up to me. After I gained weight all of that stopped. It could have been a combo of my promise ring and the weight gain but I didn't get hit on nearly as much.
  • thingeringer
    thingeringer Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Very true for me, also. Think it is partly my attitude though. When I'm thinner, I'm more confident, smiling, reaching out.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    bump
  • IslandDreamer64
    IslandDreamer64 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I've been well over 200 pounds for the last 20 years of my life. I have never felt "invisible" or "less worthy" of anyone's attention because of it. I think a LOT of it has to do with your own self esteem. I have been to Spehora often and always get attention from the staff. And I've been in a few of the bigger, fancier stores in NYC. I have great self esteem and expect to be treated equally, and I have not been disappointed.

Something to think about.
  • binor
    binor Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I notice this too. It may be part confidence though. I have to wear a suit to work and if I go somewhere after work I get treated differently then if I am in my regular clothes. Of course I think I am being judge on how I look. I refuse to purchase items at stores where I am not acknowledged and just leave and take my money with me.
  • GretchenReine
    GretchenReine Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options
    Having been overweight pretty much my entire adolescence and adulthood...I've always been invisible. I am no longer invisible no matter where I am and it's something I'm not used to. Is it possible to lose the weight and stay hidden? The attention is a little unsettling sometimes...I refuse to put the weight back on to achieve invisibility again!
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I don't notice it in stores so much (maybe because I only shop at Costco? LOL) but I do notice men noticing me again.
  • zornig
    zornig Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Try being over 35 years old and heavy. It gets worse as you get older.
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I wish the salespeople at Sephora would give me some peace. Fat or skinny, they bombard me the minute I walk in the door.

I do know what you mean though, while clothes shopping I receive better attitudes. But I have a better one myself, as I've gone from hating clothes shopping to loving it.
  • Zaniejane
    Zaniejane Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I think you may have something there. I think that I have noticed the same thing. Wow.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Having been a woman who has been thin..i notice what I call "becoming invisible." When ever I gain weight, I notice that I fall off the radar of my fellow man.

Have any of you had the same kind of thing happen.

I actually had the opposite happen. Recently, my DD and I went into a Torrid store so she could shop (she is obese) and the sales clerk went right up to her and asked if she could help and proceeded to spout out all the specials. But she totally ignored me. Now, technically, I could buy a few things in a Torrid, even though it's a plus sized store. But I suppose I am not their target consumer. :)
  • woodstockchick
    Options
    I can relate esp with guys looking at me. I was skinny before i gained 70lbs during pregnancy. When i was thin i got alot of attention. I kinda got used to being fat and invisable. Now i get looked at more and say wtf are u looking at? Lol
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    At least you can do something about weight. Older people frequently feel invisible. They still buy things, but they tend to be more critical, and less susceptible to impulse purchases so they're no longer idea consumers and get ignored.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!