Runners - how to improve stamina?

Options
I am a returning jogger; but even before, I did not jog non-stop for long distances. I used to always do run/walk alternations in my jogs. Now I am back to running again - after a half year's break, and I want to do it properly this time. I've been building up slowly for the past couple of weeks - I increase my distance gradually and trying to increase the distance I run in my run/walk alternations. Is there any specific tips to aid me along the way on how to build endurance and stamina: aka last longer and run faster?

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Step 1 is to build your aerobic base which involves doing what you're doing, gradually building time and distance. Keep the pace slow, if you can't speak in complete sentences slow down some more. Speed can come later.
  • narmin92
    narmin92 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    My average pace is 6.50 - 7 mins per kilometer. Is it considered a good running speed for somebody at my level?
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @narmin92, If you can carry on a conversation while you run, you're running the right pace. It will likely be slower than you think it should be. By running slower, you are allowing your body to make adaptations which will later allow you to run longer and faster, but the trick is to run slower so you can run longer, and reduce the risk of injury as your body gets used to it. There is no "good running speed", as far as a particular range.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,683 Member
    Options
    There is no 'good' speed; there is only the speed that is right for you. If you run more slowly, you will be able to run farther. As you run farther, you will begin to run faster.

Add more distance/time and more days to your running. If you are running 3 days a week, try 4. If you are running 4 days a week, run 5. If you are running less than 3 days, it is very hard to make any real progress. Most of your runs should be slow and easy - think jog, not run.
  • anothermop
    anothermop Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    When I'm on the treadmill, I use the "Random" setting which changes the incline. I go 3/4 mile at a comfortable (I could have a conversation) then increase speed for 1/4 mile, then go back down to the comfortable pace. I've noticed that I've gradually increased my speed and distance when I'm running outdoors.
  • MichaelJM1960
    MichaelJM1960 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    All great advice. The key to not getting injured is to not introduce too many stressors at the same time. A stressor is more distance, faster speed, or and increase in the degree of difficulty, like Hills. Your "base" Miles or Kilometers, is the distance that you can simply slide on a pair of running shoes and go run continuously without walking. Whether that's 5k, or six, or one.

So far as distance, the key is not increasing your base by too much each week; the general rule of thumb in a training program is to not try to increase based by more than 10% each week.

We take nine weeks to do couch to 5K that I coach, and 12 to take folks from 5K to 10K. That's a very incremental improvement in terms of distance.
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    c25k is an excellent program to use and safely reach your goal.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    you could look into heart rate training - it will take time, but find some place that will calculate your heart rates for you (don't use the generic 220-age because that can be inaccurate) and then zone 2 training (you may find that in the beginning, even a slow jog will get you out of that zone, but your body will adapt)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    run farther, slower
  • gdsmit1
    gdsmit1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Watching the advice. I'm sort of in the same boat. Just started back to running, and trying to get back into the swing of things. I'm slower than you, my run/walk averages 13:23 min/mile. That tends to be run .75, walk .25. I try to increase the distance I run each cycle.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    gdsmit1 wrote: »
    Watching the advice. I'm sort of in the same boat. Just started back to running, and trying to get back into the swing of things. I'm slower than you, my run/walk averages 13:23 min/mile. That tends to be run .75, walk .25. I try to increase the distance I run each cycle.

@gdsmit1 doing run/walk intervals is a great way to built up your fitness. Nice job!
  • gdsmit1
    gdsmit1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I have to keep reminding me that I'm no 20 anymore, I'm 49. I have to force myself not to push myself too hard since that's always led to injury in the past. But I'm getting there, slowly but surely.