Maintenance Calculator

2»

Replies

• ChelzFit
    ChelzFit Posts: 292 Member
    I have my Fitbit hooked up to MFP and my TDEE has been pretty spot on with maintaining. I am 5'7 133 and maintain between 2,200-2,400 depending on my activity for the day.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    That one is using the same formula from the Harris 1919 study as the others listed, or the ones that normally get linked like Scooby or whatever.

And it only discusses exercise, not increased daily activity. Actually, it's the worse version because it says days/week, not even hours/week.

Because a desk jockey doing 5 hrs of exercise weekly and a mailman doing the same with equal body/age stats obviously won't have the same TDEE.

But that 1919 formula would make it the same.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    MaxPrinz wrote: »
    right, it worked... never thought my tdee is that low 2400... i am 6'2, 170lbs an workout 5 to 6 times a week... sedentary though

First of all, what are you trying to do? Gain weight? Your weight is fine as is.

I am very similar in that I have a desk job, but I was overweight (by most standards). What I did was fill out the MFP profile for "sedentary" and then track my food and workouts. For running and cycling outdoors, you can get the calories from various apps. For elliptical or treadmills, you can get the calories from the machine itself. For swimming, I just use the MFP estimate based on time. For weightlifting, I use MFP's Cardio-- "Circuit Training." This last one is very crude since there is a lot of variation in how hard your lift and how much rest you take between lifts.

How accurate is all this? Well, I have lost 20lbs in 19 weeks. That indicates that MFPs calculations were pretty darn accurate!
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,997 Member
    There lots of different TDEE calculators that use different mathematical algorthims to arrive at a TDEE number.

The following website allows you to compare the results from 6 different methods at one time and will give you a range that can vary widely.

See: http://www.sailrabbit.com/bmr/

I used this website to calc my maintenance level and found that the lowest result was most accurate for me. So, some trial and error is still required to determine the right TDEE level for you regardless of which calculator you use.