Most filling foods

Options
HM2206
HM2206 Posts: 174 Member
I've started working out more again - usually before work, as it's the only way I can be bothered. But I find myself seriously hungry for the rest of the day.

I have two eggs in the morning (routine) and usually make a salad for lunch (post workout).

I have tried filling it with good stuff that will reportedly make me full. Today's salad was fresh spinach, cooked quinoa, sweet potato, pomegranate seeds, some cheese and a tbsp of green pesto.

Yesterday's was sweet potato, spinach, feta, some walnuts and lots of green lentil. But I am NOT full for long! I thought quinoa and lentil was the kind of stuff that should fill you up and give even energy levels, but it sort of goes right through me.

I usually have chicken, pork or salmon for dinner, but now I think I have to add that to the salads too, even though I like the meat-free salads.

What is your go-to food that always makes you super full?

Replies

• Reaverie
    Reaverie Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Everyone says fiber will keep you full the longest.. but for me it's the complete opposite. Meat keeps me full. Try spaghetti squash recipes. They are VERY low calorie and you can eat a lot of it which helps you stay full. Or have salads with less fluff in it and spread it out so you can eat more of it through out the day. Frankly, I get sick of repitition. Try low calorie soups you can drink throughout the day.
  • mylifeisbeautiful
    mylifeisbeautiful Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Adding protein (eggs, yogurt, cottage cheese etc) to my morning oatmeal keeps me plenty full until lunch time. Good luck! Hopefully your body is just adjusting to the changes and things will fall into a good feeling routine soon :)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Those lunches sounds so tasty, but yes, if you add more protein to those lunches that'll keep you fuller for longer.
  • HM2206
    HM2206 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Reaverie wrote: »
    Everyone says fiber will keep you full the longest.. but for me it's the complete opposite. Meat keeps me full. Try spaghetti squash recipes. They are VERY low calorie and you can eat a lot of it which helps you stay full. Or have salads with less fluff in it and spread it out so you can eat more of it through out the day. Frankly, I get sick of repitition. Try low calorie soups you can drink throughout the day.

Low calorie soups is a good idea. I'll try some of that.

I don't have a lot of weight to lose, it's just a couple of 'vanity pounds' and some recomposition or what you call it...maybe that's why I feel like my body is fighting against this.
  • frannieshack
    frannieshack Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Maybe switch up your meal order, have your lunch menu for dinner, and have your dinner menu for lunch. It might take some special effort to do this, but it might work.
  • monicapiazza
    monicapiazza Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Volumetrics! Soups !! broth based, lots of water, some spices and herbs and a good bulk of your fave veggies and protein. Filling and low calorie!!
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I'd add a protein to lunch. You don't necessarily have to add it to your salad, but some slices of sandwich meat and cheese rolled together could go a long way.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    It's not really food, but tea is "filling". Also, eggs, baby carrots, soups, light butter popcorn, and any mix of veggies.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    When I eat a cup of plain Greek yogurt with 2 T chopped walnuts (240 calories, 29 grams protein) for breakfast or lunch, it makes me full till the next meal. And if I don't want meat with my salad, I have a protein powder drink (150 calories, 20 grams protein).

You're right in thinking you need more protein. The eggs in the morning are only 14 grams, and the salad is probably around 12 -15 grams at best. Also, if you're eating too much of the quinoa and sweet potato, that might cause a blood sugar surge and rebound hunger. That's just a guess, as some people react more to carbs than others.

Hope you find solutions that work for you!