Wagamama's crazy calories!

Options
Heading out tonight for dinner to Wagamama. Thankfully I'm prepared this time, but for anyone who's never checked the calories, they vary hugely from dish to dish, between a very frugal 500-600 for a huge bath of food, to a slightly frightening 1300 for a similarly sized portion.

For those struggling with calories, the ramen is a great option, the curries and donburi dishes are a lot more expensive. The first time I checked calories at this place it was a real shock. Anyone else been surprised by things that had more or less calories than you expected?

Replies

• Fitforevermore
    Fitforevermore Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I found this too. I thought it was a healthy option, but when I checked the calories I was shocked. Plus they don't detail them on their menus like pizza express so it is frustrating.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Chicken Ramen is my go to. If I'm out of carb macros I eat around the noodles.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Never heard of it...

But I'm not shocked by any restaurant calories, having worked in the business for many years.
  • Watermelon_Crush
    Watermelon_Crush Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I'm not the only one! I thought 'oh, it can't be that bad because it's based on Japanese food'....wrong! A lot of their food is huge in cals! I was really surprised when it seems to be a more wholesome food kind of restaurant. I don't go there anymore, I go to Wasabi or my local independent Japanese restaurant instead now.
  • Watermelon_Crush
    Watermelon_Crush Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Sorry, should have been clearer...they have sushi options which are lower calorie than what's on offer at Wagamama, and they also offer smaller portions of ramen rather than just big ones.
  • torizia
    torizia Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I only went one time and thought it was an amazing but reasonably low calorie meal...then I checked the calories online and nearly had a heart attack! Such a shame, I've never been back :(
  • birdtobe
    birdtobe Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I just signed up for SunBasket and was surprised that many of their dinners are upwards of 800.