50 and over crowd

Options
for_ever_young66
for_ever_young66 Posts: 2,881 Member
edited January 2017 in Motivation and Support
I turned 50 in November and was looking for some peers in my age group (50 and over). Of course, if you're on the cusp of turning 50 (47-49), that would probably include you guys too. What are your fitness goals? Challenges? What are your nutritional choices? I am including both guys and gals. I probably need to lose only about 10 pounds but my focus is more on gaining muscle or transforming my body and getting stronger. Eating clean is my biggest challenge. Feel free to add me if you are pretty close to my age.

Replies

• treesha450
    treesha450 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Add me ! I'll be 50 in March :o . I have about 20 pounds to lose. I lost 50 about 5 years ago, then put some back on. My goal is to lose at least 10 by my birthday.
  • for_ever_young66
    Options
    I think that's very doable @treesha450. Are you looking to cut back on carbs or just keep your calories below a certain level?
  • treesha450
    treesha450 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I've been tracking my macros very closely hoping that will make a difference. I always keep within my carbs and fat grams. I log everything. I decide what to eat based on how much fat-protien-carbs I have left to balance it out. Plus I do cardio every day and drink only one drink a few days a week.
  • for_ever_young66
    Options
    I've been really looking closely at macros lately. Watching them like a hawk. My weight spiraled out of control and I'm upping my protein and cutting back on carbs big time, especially some of the pre-packaged junk. I'm more of a weight lifter and i'm recovering from a broken ankle and my cardio is limited to 3 times a week but I like my results so far. Sounds like you're going to hit that goal. Keep up the great work.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I'm 54 and have been using this site for 1 year to achieve my first visit, soon, to the Healthy BMI in 40 years. I attempt to keep my daily calories below 1700, with no attempt to achieve any code-words of virtue.
  • for_ever_young66
    Options
    I'm 54 and have been using this site for 1 year to achieve my first visit, soon, to the Healthy BMI in 40 years. I attempt to keep my daily calories below 1700, with no attempt to achieve any code-words of virtue.

As the old saying goes, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." Nice work and great discipline.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I'm 62 and want to lose 15 more pounds. But, we're already friends.
  • for_ever_young66
    Options
    fiddletime wrote: »
    I'm 62 and want to lose 15 more pounds. But, we're already friends.

And I still demand to see some ID on that young lady. :wink:
  • fitin50s2
    fitin50s2 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    50.5 years here.. Some days I feel like 150.5 years old / some days I feel 20.5 years old.
  • for_ever_young66
    Options
    fitin50s2 wrote: »
    50.5 years here.. Some days I feel like 150.5 years old / some days I feel 20.5 years old.

LMAO. You too?
  • DaveDR7
    DaveDR7 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hi FEY66
    52 years young, from U.K. 75lbs overweight; target to lose it in a year (well, maybe), allowed my weight to increase over last decade and a half, got to 251lbs and woke up to the dangers just a little over 2 weeks a go!
    Diets never worked for me, so doing Insanity, pretty hard going and can't hit the timing goals, level of fitness has still got to improve, but lost 8lb so far, but trying to get it to a steady 2lb weight loss per week.
    Have got to learn so much, about decent foods and nutrition, healthy weight loss, Cardio and strengthening exercises, macros and so much more!
    Happy to have anyone add me.
  • for_ever_young66
    Options
    DaveDR7 wrote: »
    Hi FEY66
    52 years young, from U.K. 75lbs overweight; target to lose it in a year (well, maybe), allowed my weight to increase over last decade and a half, got to 251lbs and woke up to the dangers just a little over 2 weeks a go!
    Diets never worked for me, so doing Insanity, pretty hard going and can't hit the timing goals, level of fitness has still got to improve, but lost 8lb so far, but trying to get it to a steady 2lb weight loss per week.
    Have got to learn so much, about decent foods and nutrition, healthy weight loss, Cardio and strengthening exercises, macros and so much more!
    Happy to have anyone add me.

Sounds like you're definitely on the right track. What you're doing is not much a diet but a lifestyle change. I think everyone here is still learning and trying to get it right since perfection is impossible. I just sent you a FR.