Options

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I want chimes now!

Ginger is delicious! I'd love to make home-made ginger ale.. I make a quick fried rice that contains 1tsp of minced ginger.

I was just going to suggest homemade ginger ale. Love.

I also love ginger in Asian food -- pain to peel, but otherwise delicious (I think someone here said you don't actually have to peel it, but I haven't tried that yet).

Can't help with the ginger tea since I buy mine pre-bagged, but some good ideas I might try.

You don't have to peel it, but it's better to do so, IMO. And yes, it's a pain. I usually just cut it into 1" chunks and use a knife to cut off the skin. I lose a little bit of ginger in the process, but it's a lot faster and less of a hassle.

Thanks!

What if i told you... you can use a spoon to peel ginger painlessly and effortlessly.... :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v908vjRX8Gc
  • patslitzker
    patslitzker Posts: 127 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Might as well take a fat burner. It will boost your metabolism more than any food will.

"Fat burners" are a scam and a complete waste of money. At least food tastes good.

No they aren't. They just don't provide miracles, they're supplements which are intended to do exactly that, supplement your diet and exercise. When used that way they work as intended. Not only that but most have appetite suppressants in them as well.
  • dietcepheus
    dietcepheus Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Personally I'd skip the tea and use that ginger in a stir fry! :p

Or a curry!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Hmm. Will try the spoon method. This thread is valuable! ;-)
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

What if i told you... you can use a spoon to peel ginger painlessly and effortlessly.... :)

:open_mouth: You just changed my life forever.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    What to do with ginger root? The correct answer is ginger bread.

I can't believe it took me on page 3 to mention this.

MFP:
    1b785a74fbfd6aca1f0ba3f18b1a71baac5d0130df9ff873fc32f45a0293073e.jpg
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Personally I'd skip the tea and use that ginger in a stir fry! :p

Or a curry!

:smiley: Anything with ginger and coconut milk is heavenly. I don't get the ginger hate (seriously, redheads are amazing!)
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I bought ginger root...now what??

Sushi?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Most things that supposedly "boost" metabolism either don't, or the effect is so small it makes no difference.

Ginger can sooth an upset stomach and tastes yummy :) I assume it has some kind of nutrition as well. Also you can just pour hot water over a couple of thin slices of ginger, or add it to tea you are already steeping.

This^

Green tea steeped with ginger root - add some citrus slices - makes yummy iced tea too.

Lots of Chinese stir fries use grated ginger root.

Back in the day I tried some diet book diet, before I became familiar with the word "woo". :lol:

I don't remember anything about it except this "detox" water that was supposed to give you a flat belly (spoiler alert: it didn't). But I have continued to make it ever since, because it's super yummy, and your iced tea reminded me! You put sliced cucumber, lemon, ginger, mint leaves and a green tea bag in a pitcher with cold water over night. It becomes an awesome refreshing iced tea, you just have to strain as you pour obviously. I guess the cold water keeps the green tea from getting bitter steeping overnight.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Curry, make a curry.

I really love a ginger biscuit (cookie) but those are made with dried powdered ginger like gingerbread. Oooh Jamaican loaf, yum! Also enjoy an alcoholic ginger beer, and regular actually. Ginger wine was evil though.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    I want chimes now!

Ginger is delicious! I'd love to make home-made ginger ale.. I make a quick fried rice that contains 1tsp of minced ginger.

I also love ginger in Asian food -- pain to peel, but otherwise delicious (I think someone here said you don't actually have to peel it, but I haven't tried that yet).

Can't help with the ginger tea since I buy mine pre-bagged, but some good ideas I might try.

You don't have to peel it, but it's better to do so, IMO. And yes, it's a pain. I usually just cut it into 1" chunks and use a knife to cut off the skin. I lose a little bit of ginger in the process, but it's a lot faster and less of a hassle.

Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v908vjRX8Gc

Also came here to say this, super easy.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    The question is how much ginger do you need on a daily basis for there to be the desired health benefit? For most herbs and spices, it's far more than any of us can reasonably consume!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    I want chimes now!

I stopped peeling years ago and don't notice that it is still there.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    I love ginger tea, it's one of my favorite drinks during the winter!

I usually peel it, chop it up and boil it for about 20 minutes, until the water gets brown. While it's boiling, I add cinnamon, and lemon or lime. Then I drink it with honey.

As everyone said, it doesn't boost your metabolism, but it does boost your immune system. It also helps with digestion, as it assists the body to absorb foods.

Check out this article on benefits of ginger root and ways to make it:

http://www.chopra.com/articles/the-health-benefits-of-ginger-tea

Ya, that's how I make ginger tea when I'm sick.

How to Make Ginger Tea

To make 1 quart of ginger tea, chop an unpeeled 2-inch piece of whole ginger into coarse pieces and place in a 2- to 3-quart pot with one quart of purified water. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat, allowing the tea to simmer for 15 minutes. Strain the tea and store in a thermos bottle or glass jar.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    What to do with it? Throw it away! Ginger tastes nasty :confounded:

Unless it's in a pumpkin pie. :D
  • violetta5345
    violetta5345 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    When I was looking into using ginger, I read that storing the root in the freezer made it easier to grate with a fork. I also read that it loses pungency quickly in heat, so add it to your pot last and late. That's all I got.

If you freeze it you can grate it easily using a rasp and measure it. It also keeps it fresh for longer. I use it all the time in Asian/Indian cooking.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    What to do with ginger root? The correct answer is ginger bread.

I can't believe it took me on page 3 to mention this.

MFP:
    1b785a74fbfd6aca1f0ba3f18b1a71baac5d0130df9ff873fc32f45a0293073e.jpg

Well, my Joy of Cooking gingerbread (and gingersnap) recipes call for ground ginger, which isn't really the same as ginger root :P

I discovered Guy Fawkes Day Cake aka Parkin next to the gingerbread recipe. Because of the rolled oats, it feels healthier to me. This recipe is very similar, with the following changes:
    • It has 1/2 C molasses and 1/3 cup maple syrup instead of 2/3 C molasses.
    • It decreased the ginger from 1 t to 1/2 t

http://hungrygemini.blogspot.com/2012/11/guy-fawkes-day-cake-parkin.html
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Might as well take a fat burner. It will boost your metabolism more than any food will.

"Fat burners" are a scam and a complete waste of money. At least food tastes good.

No they aren't. They just don't provide miracles, they're supplements which are intended to do exactly that, supplement your diet and exercise. When used that way they work as intended. Not only that but most have appetite suppressants in them as well.

Is this a joke? Of course fat burners are a scam. Why else would they add "works on conjunction to diet and exercise). At the very most they would increase your TDEE by a very tiny percent. May as well go for a 15 minute walk.

The only way to be successful at weight loss is to eat below your maintenance..and yes, any diet falls under this.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Throw the ginger root as far as you can, run after it. Then throw it again and follow after it.

That is the only way ginger will help you lose weight
  • patslitzker
    patslitzker Posts: 127 Member
    Options

Is this a joke? Of course fat burners are a scam. Why else would they add "works on conjunction to diet and exercise). At the very most they would increase your TDEE by a very tiny percent. May as well go for a 15 minute walk.

The only way to be successful at weight loss is to eat below your maintenance..and yes, any diet falls under this.

So I guess the improved results that I and people I know have had while taking them are just imaginary? Do you even have experience taking them or is your opinion based on what you've seen others say? My opinion is based solely on what I have experienced myself while taking them and yes I have had improved results while on them vs while I'm not, and before this is said; no I am not talking about the initial water weight these cause you to lose.