How much do macros matter?

Options
Hey all,

So I'm very overweight and am on yet another attempt to lose approximately at least 35kg to get myself to a healthy weight.

I've started tracking my food this week and being genuinely honest about everything that I am putting in my body.

I'm finding it easy enough to stay under my calorie goal, but I can never get my macros right. I find myself constantly going over in carbs/sugar and sodium, and never getting enough protein.

I guess my question is, if I'm reaching my calorie goal, will I still be able to lose weight if I'm not reaching my macro goals?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    To lose weight you need a calorie deficit. Macros are important for body composition. Protein fats and fiber can also keep you feeling fuller longer which can make weight loss easier. Dont worry about sugar (unless you are diabetic) or sodium (unless you have high blood pressure, heart or kidney problems).
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Calories work for weight loss.
    I just had my blood work done and the excess carbs and fats are a problem for me.

Don't get me wrong, lose the weight. Pay as much attention to the macros as you want to. You will lose weight, in the future you may or may not need to focus more on macros.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Get comfortable with your calories first. Once you're in a good groove with them then you can move on to tweaking your macros if you wish.

For me, getting an adequate amount of protein and fat helps me get through the day, and i aim for at least 30g of fibre everyday. Over the years I've learnt how much of each satisfies me and keeps mind and body running smoothly.