Are aqua shoes worth the expense?

Options
cruztacean1964
cruztacean1964 Posts: 4 Member
edited January 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
Are some shoes better than others?

I have mobility limitations caused by permanent injuries from a car accident. The result is post-traumatic arthritis in several joints including my lower spine, hip, knee, and shoulder. Even on a good day, when I go out, I need a cane to walk. I'm OK on level ground, indoors. Going out, stairs and curbs and uneven ground are going to be a problem for me. Therefore, walking around the neighborhood for exercise just isn't an option. I can't move my body fast enough for it to become actual exercise.

The only significant exercise I can get is in water. I've been doing water jogging on my own, as I haven't built up yet to the point where I can get through an entire aqua fitness class. Didn't think I would at all, but I've been doing well, and I just might. My usual goal is to water jog for 15 minutes. I've been building up to 20 or 25 minutes.

Aqua shoes are recommended for the rough surface at the bottom of a pool, but do they help with cushioning impact? My knee complains sometimes, although I have found that moving to slightly deeper water helps with that.

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It all depends on the style of the shoe. A $5 pair from walmart, not so much. A more $ pair that has some structure to it would likely be more beneficial to you. Check out some different makes & styles and look for reviews online.