My first time

Options
Hi! I'm Anna, and this is my first time taking a diet seriously. Today is day 3 and I had a hard time mentally. I could not stop thinking about food! I wanted everything and anything, and a lot of it. I wanted to break down. Somehow though, I managed and I got a good message when I completed my diary (the first 2 days said I did not eat enough, I felt bad that some food I ate was not the most healthy so I cut back on my total calories since I went over on other goals like carbs and sugar). So I'm happy what I got done today, but my brain keeps telling to give in and have more. Its taking away the happiness, I don't want to give up though, but I feel I will break down. This is my first time that I really want to dedicate and lose weight and eat better, butI feel like I'm losing.
Thank you for letting me vent.
Hope tomorrow I don't cave.

Replies

• sbrandt37
    sbrandt37 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    If you eat too little, you will definitely be too hungry, and that will cause you to fail. The most important thing is to maintain a modest calorie deficit. Start there, without worrying too much about the carbs and sugars. Once you have that down, then you can work on figuring out which specific foods work best for you.

Some people find that proteins, fats, and higher-fiber foods leave them feeling fuller longer, whereas carbs lead to more cravings. You might try substituting proteins and higher fiber alternatives for some of your carbs and sugars and see how you feel.
  • duncan04
    duncan04 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Anna...small meals/snacks throughout the day is great. Helps me cut the urge. I work from home so I got rid of all the bad and processed foods. I have a Shake for breakfast-snack-Shake for lunch-snack and then a decent dinner before 7pm and a tea in between dinner and bed. Do what works for you. But drinks water. Ice cold or hot. Either way your metabolism is at work and your body has to work either warming the water up or cooling it down-so your body is always at work.
  • mir1104
    mir1104 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I find that the small meals/snacks trick does exactly the opposite to me, it makes me think about food all the time and you can imagine how that ends up...what works for me is three square meals, like my grandmother would say, so I don't think about it. I guess everyone's different, try all options and see what works for you.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    MFP recommends you don't go below 1200 cal. That's what it has me set at, and I often will hover between 1100 and 1200. But if I go below 1100 I can and will lose weight but twice now have gained it back. It just wasn't enough calories to keep me satisfied. It sounds like you should exercise some patience, expect to lose more slowly, and know that in the long term this method is something you will be able to do. As in, rest of your life long term.
  • calvinjva
    calvinjva Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    :)
  • sand86802
    sand86802 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    As someone who went through countless loops of looking 20lbs and gaining back 30, I'd say start slow and focus on one change at a time. Focus on logging everything (including beverages is they have calories) and see what's costing you more. Try and stay within your allotted calories for the day without worrying too much about carbs/prot/far ratio for now.

Also if some days are bad and you eat too much log it anyway and don't run away from it (guilty as charged here