Workouts for runners?

2»

Replies

• Gimsteinn
    Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member
    Find a certified crossfit box.. sign up.. and you're gonna get yourself a massive strength training + cardio.
    Crossfit goes very well with running. In fact, I didn't start to run until I began crossfit training.
  • ronocnikral
    ronocnikral Posts: 176 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Sorry MeanderingMammal, but I'm not bending on trainer certifications. In my book they matter, and if I can't crosscheck you I will presume you aren't certified and that will be the name of that tune. You can see why I had to give up running last year.

But you came here for advice? Also, if you and the trainer aren't on the same page, you should find someone who is.

"cardio only" programs can work. Sure, you may need a day or two per week for some core work, but I do 95% cardio only. The trick is building a solid aerobic base (that means VERY slow running or even walking) in a gradual manner. My opinion on cross training is this, I can't afford the time to not be running (I actually do more stairs now than I run) AND still meet my goals. Others have different goals, "cross training" works for them.

Cross training is pretty important from a fitness and performance standpoint...it reduces the risk of overuse injury and muscular imbalances and can also help you break through performance plateaus.

If you're saying riding a bike always helps your running, I disagree. If you're plateauing and cross training helps you break through, you need a better training plan.

There are benefits to doing some strength training, but I don't believe that is what you are saying. And I wouldn't count that crossfit stuff as a workout either. But again, we all have different goals...
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Sorry MeanderingMammal, but I'm not bending on trainer certifications. In my book they matter, and if I can't crosscheck you I will presume you aren't certified and that will be the name of that tune. You can see why I had to give up running last year.

But you came here for advice? Also, if you and the trainer aren't on the same page, you should find someone who is.

"cardio only" programs can work. Sure, you may need a day or two per week for some core work, but I do 95% cardio only. The trick is building a solid aerobic base (that means VERY slow running or even walking) in a gradual manner. My opinion on cross training is this, I can't afford the time to not be running (I actually do more stairs now than I run) AND still meet my goals. Others have different goals, "cross training" works for them.

Cross training is pretty important from a fitness and performance standpoint...it reduces the risk of overuse injury and muscular imbalances and can also help you break through performance plateaus.

If you're saying riding a bike always helps your running, I disagree. If you're plateauing and cross training helps you break through, you need a better training plan.

There are benefits to doing some strength training, but I don't believe that is what you are saying. And I wouldn't count that crossfit stuff as a workout either. But again, we all have different goals...

Why isn't crossfit a workout?
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,242 MFP Moderator
    I'm a runner who injures myself with extreme regularity. At the beginning of the year, I started a Beach Body program called ChaLean Extreme (but I'm only doing the three resistance days each week). I also started half marathon training. At this point in my training, I've usually managed to give myself at least one twisted ankle OR some weird twinge somewhere that causes me to need to miss a day or two of training. This time I haven't had to miss a single day. No weird twinges and no twisted ankles. I'm crediting the resistance training for this. So, my vote is for ChaLean Extreme. Three 30 minute lifting workouts a week, and I love them. Not super cost effective, but worth it IMO.
  • ronocnikral
    zdyb23456 wrote: »

because it not only lacks any benefits for anyone serious about endurance, it actually diminishes aerobic capacity (assuming you're doing it with any regularity). in my mind it's a joke, but I care about doing back to back "big days" in the mountains, not how much I can clean & jerk.

In the words of Mark Twight, "TINSTAAFL."
  • Psyduckfan1
    Psyduckfan1 Posts: 18 Member
    @JustSomeEm: But from what I've looked into, Chalene Johnson doesn't appear to be certified, and I'm not going to budge on that part. Since it appears I'm only causing trouble, I think we're going to have to call this discussion over and forget about ever getting another medal because it's apparent there is nothing out there with on screen trainers who will pass a preliminary crosscheck.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member

because it not only lacks any benefits for anyone serious about endurance, it actually diminishes aerobic capacity (assuming you're doing it with any regularity). in my mind it's a joke, but I care about doing back to back "big days" in the mountains, not how much I can clean & jerk.

and yet many traithletes I work with use crossfit as a way to develop strength and they do have an endurance focused workouts
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    have you thought about actually contacting some of these trainers to ask the certification question? many in my experience are open to answering questions about their training philosophy/education etc
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Honestly, I've been running for decades, but never really progressed much as I got older. I added in heavy weight training a few years ago, and my pace has greatly improved (muscles are more powerful) and I haven't had an injury since starting the weights (used to get injured all the time.) I highly recommend it.
  • ronocnikral

and yet many traithletes I work with use crossfit as a way to develop strength and they do have an endurance focused workouts

Good for them. I have this same argument with my father, who has over 30 IM finishes under his belt.

Perhaps changing some base assumptions would help people. If "lifting heavy" is improving your running or if you're perpetually getting injured, maybe a better training program is in order. Here's an interesting piece to get people started. http://content.bandzoogle.com/users/cippianhotmail/files/Want_Speed_Slow_Down_2007.pdf

Don't get me wrong, a small amount of strength training has it's place, but it isn't cross fit and it isn't lifting heavy.

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member

Up to you, although your problem doesn't appear to have been your training programme, 5K isn't much more than a warm up for a resistance session.

But what would a trail running coach know about coaching someone for running ;)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

But you came here for advice?

That's what I'm wondering as well. There are loads of experienced runners on here who can give excellent advice, certificates or no certificates.
  • Soccermavrick
    Soccermavrick Posts: 405 Member
    In my opinion, first, find a better Trainer. You are not going to be a perfect fit with every Trainer out there, and if you are not a good fit then they are going to have a hard-time being a Good Trainer. Trainers should listen to you and be able to help; they should be able to design a routine, that helps you meet your individual goals, and then only check back from time to time. (If you are meeting with them weekly then that is you needing them to push you. Which is fine, if that is what you need.)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    edited February 2017

Cross training works different muscles in different ways...it helps mitigate the risk of overuse injuries...it makes you a better athlete...any plan worth it's salt includes cross training. My cross training is lifting...so yeah...that's what I'm saying. It has absolutely made me a better rider...and my coach also coaches professional and other high level road cyclists so I'll go with his expertise over yours.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member

The observation that I would make, whilst I disagree with the premise that you're querying, is that it's not focused. If I were coaching a runner then I'd be looking at some form of structured plan that supports running related objectives rather than the WOD model that doesn't manage progression.

I'd also fundamentally disagree with the premise that cross training isn't beneficial to any sports person. Resistance training helps improve muscular endurance and core stability whilst reducing risk of overuse injury. Cycling helps maintain and improve aerobic capacity and VO2Max, swimming helps to improve upper body strength and stability in a way that running can't.

Top performers cross train in a way that supports their objectives.
  • ronocnikral

The observation that I would make, whilst I disagree with the premise that you're querying, is that it's not focused. If I were coaching a runner then I'd be looking at some form of structured plan that supports running related objectives rather than the WOD model that doesn't manage progression.

I'd also fundamentally disagree with the premise that cross training isn't beneficial to any sports person. Resistance training helps improve muscular endurance and core stability whilst reducing risk of overuse injury. Cycling helps maintain and improve aerobic capacity and VO2Max, swimming helps to improve upper body strength and stability in a way that running can't.

Top performers cross train in a way that supports their objectives.

But that isn't what we're talking about. We're talking about a person who, I'm assuming here, under the watch of a "trainer" got an injury from running too much. I stated above that strength training has it's place, although I think it should be a small part of the overall program if someone really want to run.

Many state "overuse" injuries as a reason for cross training, but if you're under a solid plan, there shouldn't be any "overuse." And we should think of "overuse" not only in duration and frequency, but also intensity. Training with the sport you want to do is the BEST training you can get and will adapt the muscles you need. Training on a bike doesn't transfer as well to running as we would all hope. Rowing doesn't transfer to the bike as well as we would like. And crossfit makes you a jack of all trades, master of none.

My premise is most people over train (duration/frequency/intensity) and either become injured or plateau. They then switch to "Cross training" which gives their muscles the rest they need and claim that is the solution. When it was a poorly modulated plan to begin with. Again, that may or may not work for you and your goals. For me, someone who wants to have a giant aerobic base for my goals, there is little "Cross training" and strength training at this point (3-5% of my total training load by time). It changes based on goals/objectives, but right now, I'm focused on running.

Cross training works different muscles in different ways...it helps mitigate the risk of overuse injuries...it makes you a better athlete...any plan worth it's salt includes cross training. My cross training is lifting...so yeah...that's what I'm saying. It has absolutely made me a better rider...and my coach also coaches professional and other high level road cyclists so I'll go with his expertise over yours.

A proper training program helps "mitigate the risk of overuse injuries." If you want to "cross train," then by all means feel free. Maybe my point is better said this way, "cross training" is an addendum (and should be a "small" one), not a replacement for those who really want to build an aerobic base. For the 1000th time, replacing "cross training" (which is what we are talking about) with whatever you are trying to do, may or may not work with your goals. If you're pretty much just a weekend warrior on the road bike and want to do a century or two over the summer, it probably works fine.