Whey isolate

Options
cnbbnc
cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
I've used whey and casein powders before, but haven't tried isolate.

I tend to prefer casein because it seems thicker and keeps me full. Is isolate the same?

Replies

• questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I think casein is thicker, it is specifically a slower digesting protein. Isolate is still filling, but it's more of an after workout powder.

At least that is how I have used it.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Isolates have less lactose, so if that's something that bothers you then they are probably a good option. I've had isolates that are thick, and ones that are thin, it depends on the brand and what kind of fillers they put in it. From what I've found the ones that are thinner are generally the ones not spiking their protein powders, but the ones that are really thick have all kinds of additives that artificially spike up the protein levels for testing. I think some brands have been (or are currently being) sued for this very thing. Doesn't mean that if it's thick it's no good, just that they've added something to make it thick.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Ok....thanks. I'll just stick with the casein. Was just asking out of curiosity.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I like isolates as I have issues with lactose sometimes.

I really like the Kaizen Naturals Vanilla Whey Isolate they sell at Costco. Nice and thick, not tons of extra stuff added and delicious. Not chalky.
    EDIT: this one
    https://www.costco.ca/Kaizen-Naturals-Vanilla-Whey-Protein-Isolate.product.100305817.html