Ganglion/Parameniscal Cyst

After an MRI on Friday, I found out that I have a cyst in the medial region on my right knee, which is what had been causing so much pain. Thankfully, not a tear. My doctor is referring me for an ortho consult.

Has anyone had this? Did you have surgery or needle aspiration? Recovery time? I just don't want to be out of the gym that long.

Replies

• jagodfrey08
    jagodfrey08 Posts: 425 Member
    Anyone?
  • Monterae
    Monterae Posts: 9 Member
    I didn't have one in my knee but I did have a ganglion cyst on my wrist. They aspirated it, if I remember correctly and then injected something into it. I was fine. I didn't exercise back then (12 years ago) but I think I could have the next day. It may be a little different for the knee though. Good luck!
  • JoeCWV
    JoeCWV Posts: 213 Member
    I had a ganglion cyst on my ankle several years ago. It didn't really cause any problems. I was just kind of there. I had it removed. Ended up with a couple stitches and was fine in a week. Hope this helps.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    I remember a guy who had one on his wrist. He occasionally had someone give it a bible treatment* probably for show. He claimed it didn't bother him.

I'd go with the least invasive option.

* you whack the cyst with a bible or similarly large book.
  • jagodfrey08
    edited January 2017
    Yeah. I read about the bible treatment. That is very old school. It's not done anymore because it causes more damage than good....actually is does no good and only causes damage. Lol

I really hope they just remove it through surgery. All the stabby stabby stuff while I'm awake just makes me cringe. Gave birth to 3 kids, but needles make me cringe. Go figure. The cyst is 1.4cmX1.6cmX0.7cm. It isn't all that big, but it's not exactly small, either.

I'm sure they are going to have to do something. This one causes me a lot of pain. So, we shall see. Thanks for the information. It doesn't sound like there is a lot of downtime either way. So, that's a relief.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    I'm sure they are going to have to do something. This one causes me a lot of pain. So, we shall see. Thanks for the information. It doesn't sound like there is a lot of downtime either way. So, that's a relief.

i had a ganglion cyst on my wrist once, which is my only experience and may not be directly correlative. but iirc the surgeon i saw told me ganglion cysts are a buildup of gunk between the actual tendon and the sheath around it, so sometimes they just remove the tendon sheath itself to keep it from coming back. i can't recall now if that's standard practice or not but i imagine it might want a little mroe downtime or have longer-term repercussions. so maybe something to ask about.

i never did go through with it, so idk what the procedure would have been like. but if i'm remembering properly, the only directives i got were the usual outpatient things. no food or drinking beforehand, and you have to have another person who'll take you home afterwards.

sounds like no matter what, a cyst is a far better diagnosis to get than a tear, anyway. you must be relieved to have that worry out of your mind.
  • jagodfrey08
    I'm just glad they figured out what's wrong. I always hate going to the doc for pain because I feel like if they don't find the source, then they think I'm looking for drugs. You know?