Weight loss during illness?

Options
2»

Replies

• comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    lizery wrote: »
    If you have been febrile at all or had a high respiratory rate your metabolic rate would be elevated during those times.

But does that actually increase calorie consumption? My heart rate is always elevated from asthma and asthma medication
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    '... aspects of fever include increased basal metabolic rate and increased cardiac demand. It is estimated that for every 1°C increase in temperature, the metabolic rate increases by up to 13%.[2] ...'

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4408647/
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    My actual guess on your weight loss despite inactivity would be mostly dehydration and associated weight fluctuation. But who knows. I'm certainly not a doctor,
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Another sickie here (it's been three weeks for me) just waving hello. Scales have been kind to me too. I can't say that I feel like I have "made progress" at all though. I know it's going to be a long process of slowly ramping up exercise again once I finally stop coughing.
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options
    Another sickie here (it's been three weeks for me) just waving hello. Scales have been kind to me too. I can't say that I feel like I have "made progress" at all though. I know it's going to be a long process of slowly ramping up exercise again once I finally stop coughing.

Feel better soon. I did actually do a gentle bodyweight workout yesterday with no long lasting ill effects!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    deviousme7 wrote: »
    You will probably find it's a loss in muscle.

I was very sick for three months, couldn't get out of bed, didn't eat or drink or had a couple of bites of something every couple of days and lost 2.5kg every week to total of 18kg, lost muscle and strength big time because of little physical movement, after a time in hospital slowing gaining my strength took 6 months, after three months started losing my hair due to not eating - don't recommend that

Plus the weight lost while sick goes back on very quickly

In the OPs timeframe, i doubt it would be muscle loss. A body has pretty good storage of glycogen to burn through. And often it would take 3 weeks just to start to lose strength. At 3 months of no eating, i can see it.
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options
    lizery wrote: »
    '... aspects of fever include increased basal metabolic rate and increased cardiac demand. It is estimated that for every 1°C increase in temperature, the metabolic rate increases by up to 13%.[2] ...'

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4408647/

Wow - though that kind of confirms what the doctor told my mother all those years ago!