Obsessing over weight loss

Options
2»

Replies

• mlogantra76
    mlogantra76 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I figure everyone has a hobby or focus at any given time. I have a goal in mind and it involves being 100% committed. If that is considered obsession, I guess I have it:) However, on the flip side, if I was a healthy weight and I was still obsessed with losing, I think that is another issue. I do plan my meals. I do go out of my way to eat healthy. It is not always the easy route. But, I am pleased with the results. Twelve years ago I wore a size 26/28 pants and got down to a size 10(my goal size). Fast forward to two years ago, I allowed myself to regain up to a size 16W pants. I found mfp January 2nd and I'm now almost back to my goal size(I can wear half of my goal size pants). I've done this through consistent healthy eating and tracking as well as exercise. This obsession has produced positive results:)
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    No. The only thing I think about regularly is what I am going to eat and when but I made that my first goal when I joined over 2 years ago to get a handle on portions first, so now it's really a non issue. It is part of my lifestyle to consider what I will eat and when so that I don't go off track, but it's not obsessing for me.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    I feel myself constantly talking about fitness related things to my friends who seem so disinterested :s
    Can anyone relate to this?

And, the first rule of fight club is?
    You just broke it, your out of the club :P
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I totally relate. I'm still not happy with how I look, even though I look so much better. I can't say I'm more obsessed than I was though, I guess I've always been since I started. I worry less about food actually (although still some, like 'should I really have this snack now and run out of carbs later'). My main issue is worrying about when I'm going to find the time to put my weight lifting workouts in, I always have to find a time around my kids' and hubby's schedules and it's a pain, I can't wait for school to start again so I don't have to worry about that anymore...
  • tachyon_master
    tachyon_master Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Yes. I went through this, and it bit me in the *kitten* in the end.

I hit my goal weight and just kept saying "just a little bit more, just a little bit more", until I got to a scarily unhealthy weight. I went from being borderline healthy/overweight, to being really, seriously underweight.

I'm not saying this will happen to anybody else here, but just be careful. Obsession with the scales and working out and food can end up having negative consequences as well.
  • laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate :flowerforyou:
  • bigjoost
    bigjoost Posts: 53
    Options
    In some respects, yes. I do weigh myself almost every morning even though I told myself to weigh only once a week. I look in the mirror to often if I walk by and when I'm alone lift my shirt or flex some muscles. I of course log every food and read a LOT of things online about food and metabolism and losing weight and everything. It's not that bad but I need to watch out I think. It doesn't sound as bad when I say it here but for me it's not that great.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I feel myself constantly talking about fitness related things to my friends who seem so disinterested :s
    Can anyone relate to this?

And, the first rule of fight club is?
    You just broke it, your out of the club :P

Bollocks! I'm such a noob.......
    43932452 Posts: 7,246 Member
    Options
    Same. I drive everyone nuts ... they might think I'm
    like I'm obsessed over my goals and all that is
    weight related but I'm the kind of person who is all
    in or out. To get the job done, overboard it is! ;)
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way as the original poster. I tend to obsess about a lot of things. When I am into painting, I paint a TON. When I am planning a move, I am like a general planning a major battle campaign.

I seem to go along pretty much ok, then, with seeing the losses of others along the way, I just keep edging up my workouts and edging down my eating. I have to keep reminding myself not to over-exercise and under eat. It's not the shortcut to skinny, it's the shortcut to crashing.

Sometimes I will read about a particular methodology, recently Wheat Belly, and try to incorporate it into my eating. I usually gravitate toward restrictive eating.

Then, after a week or so of restriction, I bounce back, shake my head and say, "Wow, that was stupid."

Sometimes I worry about posting stuff I eat in my food journal. What will other say? Isn't that stupid?
  • wamydia
    wamydia Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I have found myself doing this too. I enjoy discussing health topics and debating biological stuff, so in some ways I enjoy it. But when I'm going about my day-to-day life and I find all of this stuff about food and exercise and meal planning endlessly circling in my head, I feel a little obsessed and I don't like it. I believe it's just as important to focus on my mental well-being as my physical one and, to me anyway, it makes sense that we have to work just as hard to be mentally fit as we do to be physically fit. So I've started working on the mental aspect of not being obsessive about my fitness plan. I try to be aware of when my thoughts have crossed over from normal thinking/planning mode and into obsessive territory and I actively redirect my thoughts. If I find myself chewing someone's ear off about fitness and diet and they are obviously bored, I force myself to pick a new topic we are both interested in. I make a major point to stay engaged in all of my other hobbies so that I don't end up with my only hobbies being walking, making meal plans, and posting on fitness forums. I guess it comes down to whether or not the obsessiveness bothers you and if you feel like it is unhealthy for you and what you are willing to do about it.
  • katz6910
    katz6910 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's all consuming and very addicting! I am obsessed, I think about food, eating, exercising ALL. THE. TIME! :embarassed: I wish I could switch it all off sometimes!