3x5...5x5? What the what?

CranstonJ2016
CranstonJ2016 Posts: 142 Member
edited January 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
Can someone explain the difference between the two? I tried looking online but I'm not really getting a definition or the two to properly compare what I should be doing.

I'm new to this. I'm using FitnessPoint Pro to log everything. So right now I do 5 sets of 12. If I can do all 5 sets then I try to up that weight the next time I use that routine..

If I don't complete it, have to go down in weight or struggle then I stay at the initial weight until I can complete 5 sets of 12 properly.

Is this correct? Is this 5x5? 3x5? I heard some guys at the gym talking that they like their sets to be 12's 10's and 8's....whats that?

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    5x5 would be 5 sets of 5 reps.

3x5 would be 3 sets of 5 reps

you are doing 5x12
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    5x5 = 5 sets of 5 reps
    3x5 = you guessed it, 3 sets of 5 reps.

So no, what you're doing isn't 5x5 or 3x5.

What is/are your goal(s)? And how/why are you doing 5x12? Is that an actual program? I'm unfamiliar with FitnessPoint Pro.
  • CranstonJ2016
    So is this not proper then? Am I doing more work than I need to?

Why couldnt the internet be this clear? Now I feel stupid lol
  • CranstonJ2016
    TR0berts wrote: »
    5x5 = 5 sets of 5 reps

What is/are your goal(s)? And how/why are you doing 5x12? Is that an actual program? I'm unfamiliar with FitnessPoint Pro.

My goal is to continue to lose weight, i lost 15lbs with solely cardio and a hiit program, but now I want to gain strength and to tone..

I chose 12 because it seemed like an achievable number.

So I should be lifting slightly heavier than I am now at less reps?
  • SonyaCele

what are you goals? Dont feel stupid. you pick your programing based on your goals. 5x12 is more endurance than it is strength. Sure its good for you , but if you are trying to get strong, you could drop down into a lower rep range .
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    As others said, you're just doing a higher rep scheme (12x5).
    How many exercises are you doing, and where did you find your program? While 12 reps is reasonable for a hypertrophy program (if your goal is to build muscle), 5 sets seems excessive and like it would take a really long time.
  • CranstonJ2016
    SonyaCele wrote: »

what are you goals? Dont feel stupid. you pick your programing based on your goals. 5x12 is more endurance than it is strength. Sure its good for you , but if you are trying to get strong, you could drop down into a lower rep range .

Oh ok...so...if I want to see more muscle definition I'd see it better doing a lower rep but slightly heavier weights?

• SonyaCele
    TR0berts wrote: »
    5x5 = 5 sets of 5 reps

My goal is to continue to lose weight, i lost 15lbs with solely cardio and a hiit program, but now I want to gain strength and to tone..

I chose 12 because it seemed like an achievable number.

So I should be lifting slightly heavier than I am now at less reps?

i want to say yeah, only because higher weight lower rep is really cool and i love it. Keep dieting to lose weight, and find a fitness program you enjoy and fits your goals. There are lots that are already designed, so you dont have to guess .
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    you might want to check out the book "the new rules of weight lifting for women" I found it quite helpful.
  • CranstonJ2016
    edited January 2017
    As others said, you're just doing a higher rep scheme (12x5).
    How many exercises are you doing, and where did you find your program? While 12 reps is reasonable for a hypertrophy program (if your goal is to build muscle), 5 sets seems excessive and like it would take a really long time.

I do about 5 workouts per routine, at the 5x12 takes me about 45min.

I felt like I was limiting the areas I was working on because it took so long

• CranstonJ2016
    Thanks for all the info guys :) I might try an actual 5x5...

People at the gym probably thought I was ridiculous lol
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    SonyaCele wrote: »

Oh ok...so...if I want to see more muscle definition I'd see it better doing a lower rep but slightly heavier weights?

Not necessarily. Really, nearly anything that pushes you (5x5, 3x5, 5x12, whateverxwhatever) will help you keep muscle so that you gain definition. That definition will come as you lower your body fat.

That said, you indicated previously that you wanted to get stronger. A 3x5 or 5x5 program will better help you achieve that goal than a 5x12.

What exercises are you doing? Because certain ones aren't particularly appropriate for 5x5. If you go check out this thread - http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1 - you'll hopefully find something that will fit with what you are able to do.
  • CranstonJ2016
    Thank you, I will check out that thread for sure. I didnt realize there were so many rules. The app i have gives you loads of workouts to do for strength training and which muscles your working out...

So if I switched to a 5x5 am I increasing at all during the workouts? Thats one reason I liked the number 12 lol gave me a chance to slightly increase if needed or decrease.

Let's say at the end of the third set I'm feeling good, can I increase the weight and finish the 5x5? Or do I have to do the whole thing with the same weight?
  • CranstonJ2016
    I was just going to message you! I checked out that link and I think I'm going to go with Strong Lifts.

Thank you all so much :) I'm excited to try this!
  • Ben_there_done_that
    Ben_there_done_that Posts: 732 Member
    edited January 2017
    I believe with the Strong Lifts 5x5 program, you stick with that weight for the day if you can handle it and bump up the weight on the next day. The app is free and fairly simple.

EDIT - Also, good luck on your weight training. I'm really excited for you.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Google stronglifts 5x5 for beginners. It will explain the program. I use it but it is modified to use dumbbells for right now.

NVM I looked it up for you...

https://stronglifts.com/5x5/
  • SonyaCele
    Thank you, I will check out that thread for sure. I didnt realize there were so many rules. The app i have gives you loads of workouts to do for strength training and which muscles your working out...

So if I switched to a 5x5 am I increasing at all during the workouts? Thats one reason I liked the number 12 lol gave me a chance to slightly increase if needed or decrease.

Let's say at the end of the third set I'm feeling good, can I increase the weight and finish the 5x5? Or do I have to do the whole thing with the same weight?

I'd say start out at the same weight for a while until you get a hang of the routine and the exercise, and then increase after you get some experience with the exercise, you'll begin to learn your exact weights to grab for any lift, and when to add and push yourself. Just go into it slowly and learn whats going on first. Sometimes i go to the gym, i start out with a warm up set and each set is increasing until my last set is close to impossible. Sometimes i just go in at a percentage of my max weight and do a bunch of volume work at the same weight. It depends on what your program calls for that day .
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Thanks for all the info guys :) I might try an actual 5x5...

People at the gym probably thought I was ridiculous lol

I can almost guarantee they did not. People at the gym do all different kinds of set/rep schemes, so 5x12 is not ridiculous, just not very efficient. And a good 75% of people at the gym are usually just winging it completely. lol
  • CranstonJ2016
    Thank you all very much! Some really great advice on here and really awesome links :)

I really appreciate all your help!